Doctor Who Regeneration VFX Short

inScapeDigital
inScapeDigital Posts: 709 Just Starting Out*

https://youtu.be/vDFboE51hKs

1 day to film, 5 to edit. Shot on Canon Rebel T3i with 18-135mm lens. Hope you like it!

Comments

• StephansBilderwelt
    StephansBilderwelt Posts: 521 Just Starting Out*

Did you track this with mocha?

• inScapeDigital

Nope, all in HitFilm. I did have to do a lot of hand-animating for the Points, like the eye flares or at the end when his head is turning/hands are moving around too much.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

Papercut? Obviously the Time Lords rushed that new regeneration cycle. 

• Robin
    Robin Posts: 1,669 Enthusiast

Oh my, next he'll regenerate on someone having hurt his feelings. Really not what I expected from that.

• Triem23

Given that 9's regen took out most of the TARDIS control room, 10's blew out the TARDIS windows, and 11 destroyed a Dalek saucer and blew a shockwave over the horizon, I think we're lucky it wasn't a mushroom cloud. 

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

@Triem23 and @Robin There's probably an entire back story where you'll learn the book was infected with nanotechnology or a virus engineered to target Time Lords. I'm sure @inScapeDigital wanted to tell the entire story you know spoilers work with the Doctor.

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast

This is actually really nicely shot. VFX were very authentic. I'm actually not a fan of the regeneration effects in the show itself, but you recreated them really well.

I can't help but think that HitFilm could do a much more interesting regeneration effect, incorporating more advanced particle behaviour. An issue I also have with the effect (even in the show) is that the streams of energy don't light up or interact much with the environment, despite being so intense. Again, something which could be done more interestingly in HF with a 3D environment or some camera projection lighting.

• Triem23

Side note: like @SimonKJones, not a fan of the (current) series regeneration effect either. 

But, as far as the general look goes, particularly how Simon points out the lack of environment interaction, we are dealing with an effect created in 2005 on a BBC budget,which has been more-or-less consistent for a decade, except for typical "blockbuster" making it bigger and louder and more violent each time. 

In story-logic, obviously something happened to the Doctor's biology and metabolism following his 8th incarnation's death, resuscitation and regeneration on Karn, since, at no point in the classic series did a regeneration blow things up in the Doctor's vicinity.

(Seriously, in the new series we've seen the Doctor's TARDIS smash through spaceship hulls, Gallifreyan buildings and Daleks without a scratch, but the Doctor's own regenerations damage her? Boy, it's a good thing 11 siphoned off most of his regeneration energy by... Blowing up a Dalek mothership and blowing ground cover off over the horizon... Clara's so lucky she didn't die [again] like a cuter Rory!) 

Perhaps this was a result of Time Lord genetic manipulation during the Time War? Regeneration being so violent is a good way to clear space around oneself during a vulnerable time? 

Anywhow, as a recreation Valbarr's is spot-on (especially with hand-tracking!) perfect, and I am still amused by the regen being triggered by a papercut. 

• aarondc
    aarondc Posts: 264

They are time streams / energy, not physical or light particles, so it's completely logical that they do not directly interact with nor light up the surrounding area :p

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast

I can see them with my eyes, which means they are DEFINITELY emitting light. :)

• Triem23

Well, if we're being pedantic on optics and physics, one does not see light, one sees light's interactions with physical objects. 

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,086 Staff

*claps* Go science!

• aarondc
    aarondc Posts: 264
    edited May 2015

Special time particles that are visible but not ... light. particles?

*wibble*

YAY SCIENCE!!

• inScapeDigital
  • NXVisualStudio
    NXVisualStudio Posts: 734 Ambassador

Nicely done mate :)