Post Apocalyptic color grading!!!

Just wondering if hitffilm has a good apocalyptic setting color grade preset anyone knows of. If not, maybe a way to create that hazy orange feel or tone.  Thank you  

Comments

• Robin
    Robin Posts: 1,669 Enthusiast

Well, "apocalyptic" is a very vage description for a color grade... Could mean everything is blown-out orange from a nuclear explosion, could just as well be very cold looking because maybe the sky darkened and the earth is almsot frozen, or it's just a desaturated, high-contrast look for a general look... Lots of possibilities, depending on what your setting is.

As far as presets in HitFilm go, there are a few you could try, for example "desert intensity", "Green Zombie", "Nuclear Sun" or the likes. Just go through the presets and see what works for you!

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast

Equally, depending on the look you're actually going for, this probably isn't too tricky to make from scratch. Do you have an example you can show us (from another movie, perhaps), so we know what you're after?

• Robin
    edited May 2015

Also, if you in fact do have a movie or a clip like Simon suggested, you can try getting a screenshot of that clip/movie and import it in your project, and use the grading transfer effect to achieve a similar look to build upon.

• Thanks for the responses guys. @ Simon, Im kinda looking for this look. 

• Robin
    edited May 2015

Okay, that's not too hard to recreate. I just did a quick test, by simply using curves to up the contrast a bit, and then drop on Color Correction Wheels to drop the saturation (look in the master controls of the effect) WAY down - there is basically no color information left in that video. Then just use the wheels to shift everything to tint the video yellow-orangeish, and you're done. Also, as mentioned, the Grading Transfer effect works exceptionally well on this video.

Personal note: For my taste, the video is even too stylized. I would try to add some color back in there, maybe something contrasty to the orange (and yes, I'll probably get crucified by the orange/teal-haters for this)

• tuckerkras12
    tuckerkras12 Posts: 64
    edited May 2015

Outstanding Robin! Thank you very much

• jinchoung
    jinchoung Posts: 55

if you want to imitate mad max fury road, just make the skin tone a nice cheetos orange.

• I am new here but I am editing a preview short that achieves the look you are going for. Basically de-saturate the tones, boost the brightness and increase the contrast a nudge, not to much though, you don't want it washed out entirely.