Opening a 3D model for HitFilm 3 Pro (Resolved)

FusionFiveFilmsFusionFiveFilms Website User Posts: 63
edited May 2015 in HitFilm

Hello, I recently purchased HitFilm 3 Pro for Mac and I have to say it is a very impressive piece of software. The only thing that I am having a problem with is the 3D models. I wanted to import a 3D model whilst following along one of HitFilm's youtube tutorials, I went to the site and downloaded the model. But when I went to open the file, I was met with a message saying there is no application set to open the 3D file. Is there something I am missing?  

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,282 Ambassador

If you double-clicked the model file itself, Hitfilm is probably in the registry as an NLE or Compositor. 

Did you select Import>3D Model within Hitfilm's Media panel? If you did, but the model didn't load, you may have a driver error or something, or possibly found a bug. 

Can you list your CPU, GPU, RAM, OS and the model format? This information will give staff a starting point. Also, double check which drivers your GPU is running. 

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff

Were you trying to open the file directly, or Import it into HitFilm, as shown in the tutorial?  It sounds like you were trying to open it directly, where you should be using the Import 3D model command in the HitFilm media panel, and selecting the model from there.  Which tutorial are you following?

• FusionFiveFilmsFusionFiveFilms Website User Posts: 63

I did try and import it with the 3D model command in the HitFilm panel. I was following one of the tutorials on the HitFilm 3 Pro site. It was titled "3D model import in HitFilm 2 Ultimate" 

• BriReddBriRedd Website User Posts: 98 Just Starting Out

What is the 3D model's file extension / format (obj, fbx, 3ds )?

The helicopter model from the tutorial is not any of those certain files. I downloaded a couple more models to see whether it was just that model. But when I went to upload those I couldn't. I tried to open the 3D model itself but was met with an error message. 

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    edited May 2015

HitFilm can import.obj, .3ds, and .lwo files, so the helicopter model from the tutorial is certainly one of those file types. If its the UH-60 Blackhawk model that you are using, the folder includes all of those options, and a few more. What is the exact filename and extension of the file you are trying to import?

edited May 2015

Here is the filename:

'bcbikjiauz-UH60Blackhawk.7z'.

Whenever I try and import this into Hitfilm, an error message pops up saying "HitFilm 3 Pro cannot open 'bcbikjiauz-UH60Blackhawk.7z'. The contents of the file cannot be read."

Also I am running on a Mac

The CPU is 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

The GPU is a ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB

The RAM is 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

And the OS I am using is OX Yosemite Version 10.10.2 

Ah, you didn't unzip the file yet. You have to unzip it, so you can open the folder and get to the actual models.

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    edited May 2015

That's a 7zip file, it's actually a compressed archive containing several files, just like a normal .zip-file. You have to unzip it first (with a program like 7zip), then you can access the files inside it.

edited May 2015

Oh ok! Can you tell me how to unzip it? I know how to unzip basic zip folders but this one is different. 

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

Download page for 7-Zip

Once it's installed all you have to do is right click the file, select the 7-Zip option and then select how you want to extract the files. Extract Here does just exactly that, extracts the files straight to the folder you are in. Extract Files.... gives you some options on what folder to extract the files to. The default here will create a new folder in the directory you're in with the contents of the 7z file but you can choose to extract to a completely different location. Extract To will always create a new folder in the directory you're in. Open Archive let's you browse the contents of the archive if you're not sure you want to extract all the files yet.

edited May 2015

On a Mac you just have to double-click the .7z file to unzip it.  You don't need to install anything.  The zipping/unzipping functionality is built into the OS.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

Oops missed the Mac part.....sorry!

Yes, I have double clicked it but I am met with an error message saying that "there is no application set to open up bcbikjiauz-UH60Blackhawk.7z" Now, when I right clicked it and looked at "open up with" I noticed that it was set up to open on the app store, and while looking some more, I found that you can set it up to open with any application, what should I have it set on to where it opens the model up by itself? 

edited May 2015

I'm not sure what the default app is supposed to be on a Mac but Keka can handle 7z files.

http://www.kekaosx.com/en/

Is this a trustworthy program? Just making sure. 

It's an open source program that's been around for a few years so I'd say it's trustworthy

Ok, I downloaded it. Opened up the file using it and it worked perfectly, the file was opened and everything looks like it should. The model did import into HitFilm. Thanks a bunch! 

• jnelliejnellie Website User Posts: 1

I seem to be having the same problem, however it is an '.obj' file. I am using the free version for now. Does that make a difference?

HitFilm  3 Express won't import models as is. For that you have to have the 3D models toolkit add on

https://hitfilm.com/store/hitfilm-3-express 

This discussion has been closed.