Does a 3D mouse work with HitFilm 3 Pro?

LandonParksLandonParks Website User Posts: 22
edited May 2015 in General

I am currently looking into possibly buying the 3Dconnexion 3DX-700028 SpaceNavigator 3D Mouse for use in the 3D space of Hitfilm.

Before I purchase, I'd like to know if it's possible to use it with Hitfilm? Thanks!

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,308 Ambassador

I do not think Hitfilm supports 3D mice or orbit controllers? I remember there being a different forum thread about that, but that was before HFP3 was released. It's possible they changed things in 3?

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast

I think they would mention that somewhere in the features overview. Better wait for a statement from the staff to be sure, though.

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

I don't believe we've done any testing with 3D mice. Chances are it won't work, as it certainly isn't something we officially support.

• LandonParksLandonParks Website User Posts: 22

I'm not a proficient programmer, but 3Dconnexion (makers of one of the most used 3d mouse) makes their API freely available to developers of software on their website (http://www.3dconnexion.com/service/software-developer.html). It's probably not to difficult to integrate. Might be something worth looking into for future updates?

Thanks!

• emma24xiaemma24xia Website User Posts: 85

What is a 3D mouse for? Can't get any clue why need such a mouse.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,308 Ambassador
    edited May 2015

@emma24xia A regular mouse sends data for 2 axis of movement (X, Y). A 3D mouse adds Z. Also, with a 3D mouse, you can also rotate on all 3 axes while translating. 

For many users this makes it easier to position objects in a 3D world. Overall it gives another option for placement besides the normal widget or the translation controls on the side of the preview window, or opening up multiple orthogonal windows. With a 3D mouse one can move and rotate in any direction without moving to different controls for different functions, instead of (for example) moving on X with the widget, then shifting to a new control to rotate Y, then shifting again to translate Z. 

It's not so much a NEED as it's nice to have for users who are comfortable with them--much like some users prefer tablets or trackballs. For these users 3D mouse support might speed up workflow. 

For more information: www.spacecontrol.us/3d-mice-spacecontroller-functional-principle.html

• LandonParksLandonParks Website User Posts: 22
    edited May 2015

Exactly as Triem23 mentioned: For those of us comfortable with 3D workspaces (think 3D software), a 3D mouse is an invaluable tool (at least to me). When I have a scene built in the 3D, it's much easier to navigate around the scene with the 3D mouse movement (xyz) then trying to handle keyboard shortcuts combined with mouse movements.

I asked for this functionality in Hitfilm for the fact that hitfilm works in a full 3D environment, and so a mouse like this would be nice in heavy VFX scenes - like the ones I work on. I use after effects right now w/ Element3D - and I find that I do much of my 3D rendering inside the program, something that normally would have been done in 3DS. When you're working with a large 3D scene, it just helps me to have that 3D movement around the scene. 

Of course, AE doesn't support a 3D mouse either, but I wish...

Probably because AE and Hitfilm are primarily compositors that have some 3D capacity, not quite 3D programs. 

I suggest hitting the Wishlist thread, and, of course putting in 3D mouse support in comments next time FxHome does a survey. As a small company FxHome has limited resources, so any kind of 3D mouse support will probably need enough users asking for it to convince FxHome to make that mid-to-high priority. 

Wishlist : hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/4432/the-wishlist-feature-requests-and-suggestions#latest

• IdrankwhatIdrankwhat Website User Posts: 131

I would think they would make some sort of feature or plugin available even through 3rd parties to be able to custom program movements for individual programs.  I know my logitech regular wireless mouse has programmable buttons I can program specific to individual software if I wanted to set that up.

I also have a Leap Motion controller that you use your hands instead of any physical device like a mouse to navigate around the computer, software, 3d space etc..  There are several 3rd parties developers that created apps for the device that allow you to custom program movements for specific software.  

It doesn't make sense to me that there would not be something similar for this device you are looking to get.

@IDrankWhat programmable controllers are sweet, but most of them just key-bind existing commands to the custom keys. Unless Hitfilm adds a hotkey for (as an example) "translate Z-negative," there's no way for a programmable controller to do that. Although, that's not a bad idea...