Temporal Speed Effect Issue.

FaReKiFaReKi Website User Posts: 10

This has been a problem in Hitfilm 2 and now 3. The Temporal Speed effect (effect that is intended to speed up the footage) is not working. If you speed it up by ANY amount, 1.2x even, footage at the end of the clip will be deleted. The weird thing is, when your compositing it, it looks fine, you go to your editor and its screwed up. Then you return to your composite and its now screwed up when before, just after applying the effect, it was fine. Please let me know if there is a fix to this, saves me a lot of time when i have to use different softwares to complete tasks - i just want people not to have the same problems and get mad, because an effect isnt working. Thanks:)

Comments

• chibichibi Website User Posts: 257 Just Starting Out

Temporal Speed threads seems to pop up every now and then.
    Needs to be revised how its done in HF.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,282 Ambassador
    edited May 2015

Chances are FxHome won't change how the effect is implemented. (Certainty not in HFP3), but a tutorial would be nice, since the speed effect is a bit unintuitive. 

This thread has a decent explaination of setting up a Speed effect. hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/comment/53521/#Comment_53521

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast

Actually,if you're speeding up a clip there should be no footage getting deleted, this is normally only the case when slowing down something. Can you explain in more detail what you did?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,282 Ambassador

I predict the OP means that, when he speeds up a 10 second clip to, say, 120%, the clip bar is still showing as 10 seconds long, even though there are now only 8 seconds worth of video. 

Since the length of the clip bar doesn't change on the timeline to match the new length of the clip, it's a bit confusing and unintuitive. 

• FaReKiFaReKi Website User Posts: 10

Ok. So. This happens.

I have a 10 min clip for example. I want it to go 3x as fast so it shrinks to 3.33 mins in the timeline. I preview it while still in the composite, and its fine. Yes there is a black bit behind of the clip - but of course that is intended - as i just sped up the footage. The issue is when i LEAVE the composite -> It deletes a portion of the footage - some is still sped up though (the beginning - probably around 1 min of the 3.33 total is fine). Then it goes black = no footage. They need to delete the effect or refine. When i teach people how to use hitfilm i have to use an external program to do speed up/slow motion things - incredibly annoying and inefficient. 

Not the complete footage is sped up - only a little bit

I'm not experiencing this at all here. I just tried it with a 15 minute video, precomped it and sped it up x3 there, it's playing in the editor just like it should. Would you mind sharing a project file and video where this does happen, so we can have a look?

I would but thats a lot of effort, recording etc and im  a busy student. WIll make one on wednesday but cant right now

Alright, whenever you have the time!

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff

It would also help if you can please give us the specs of your system, especially the model of your graphics card, and the version of the drivers for that card that you are using. then we can try replicate the issue to see what is going on.

• EdMichalskiEdMichalski Website User Posts: 39

Is there any way to increase the size of the clip once it is a composite?  It would help a lot when slowing things down? 

Yeah, you can always right-click the composite shot in the media pool, select "Properties" and set a new length for a composite shot. Or use the "Settings" button near the top right of the timline.

Remember, Hitfilm's Speed effect wants to run in an embedded composite shot. You move the clip to be effected into a comp, do your speed keyframing, stretch the event out to fill the composite shot, then set the composite shot length to be what you want the clip length to be.

Also remember you can right-click a video clip in the media pool and change it's fps (speed) there--although this changes all instances of that clip on any timeline. You can duplicate the clip in the media pool and change the fps (and name) of one copy, or multiples!

If you only need a straight fast/slow motion, then changing the clip properties in the media pool is the way to go. Only go to the SPEED effect if you need a ramp

@Ermichalski Actually, when you're slowing a clip down and still keep all of the footage without cutting it off at the end, you will have to place the clip in a composite shot that has at least the length of the clip after it was slowed down, and place the clip at the beginning of that composite shot, with blank space behind it. Then you place the composite shot whereever you originally wanted the original clip slowed down, and apply the speed effect to the composite shot, rather than the clip. This way, the comp shot is long enough to still show all frames while being slowed down.

Thanks Robin!  I still have issues with adding short media  to a composite shot (even if its length of the composite is very large) and slowing it down.  But duplicating the media in the media pool and changing its frame rate does the trick.

edited July 2015

Here is what I have done with no success.  I have a 8;18 duration clip in my media pool at a normal frame rate, in this case it was 23.97fps.   I drag it to a composite shot.  The layer shows the lighted clip at approximately 8 seconds in duration with a lot of blank space to the right of it.   I checked the composite shot properties and it says 30 seconds.   The layer properties show 8;18.  

I can not stretch the layer's duration, when I right click on it I can not change its duration of the actual media. It says Container: Quicktime Duration:00;00;08;18  (it is read only).  

When I add the speed effect to the media, I can slow it down but it clips everything past the original 08 seconds.  (And the duration of the clip does not appear to change--as expected since it still is 8 seconds).

I am thinking that I need somehow to increase the clips length but do not see a way of doing this.

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff

Don't add the Speed effect to the media. Drop the composite shot containing the media onto another timeline, and apply the speed effect to the comp.

edited July 2015

Axel, I am not sure what you mean to drop onto another timeline. 

Whether I start by dragging the clip to the editor timeline or a composite timeline.  I get the same result.   As far as I know there are two timelines the Editor and the Composite shot.   I can not drag one unto the other, although I can right click on media in the editor and (make composite shot).  The only drag/drop I do is from the Media pool to a timeline. 

How can you apply a speed effect to a composite shot and not to a layer?  Any and all effects (in my experience) apply only to a layer within a composite.  It does not let me to select a composite when dragging an effect.

You can have as many composite shot timelines as you want in a HitFilm project. Name your current comp Container. In your Container comp, right-click on your footage layer, and choose Make Composite. This will create a new composite containing the footage. Name it Footage. Now, switch back to the Container comp, and you will see that the Footage comp sits inside it, as a layer. Apply the Speed effect to that comp.

The specific names don't matter, of course, I was just using them to clarify which comp was which. Embedding comps in this way is an important aspect of compositing and effects work, and is a technique you will use frequently once you get familiar with it.

Axel, thanks!  I guess it is counter intuitive until you did it a few times. 

I dropped my footage into the editors timeline, right clicked to make it a composite. (named that composite container), then right clicked on the media layer make it composite again (named that footage).  Then the container layer showed up as composite, pointing to the new composite which contained the original media footage.  

Then I went as you said to the container tab and added the speed effect to that.  The only trick after that was to change that container duration to match the duration of the resulting clip (as I slowed it down the duration had to be increased).   Then I went back to the editor tab and stretched out the container video to see the entire clip (in slow motion). 

I cans see why it is useful to have the original clip referenced indirectly, I just do not see a purpose in allowing the speed effect to be directly applied to media when it should be only applied to a composite. 

Thanks much again Axel!

Cool, glad you got it figured out. And yes, the point is that you can adjust the length of the composite to make it longer than the original footage, for cases where you need to slow things down. There is no differentiation in the software between a media layer and a composite shot layer, as far as applying effects goes. Both video and composite shots are treated as media layers.  Also, the Speed effect goes both ways, and if you are increasing the speed of the footage, then applying it directly to the media isn't an issue.

This discussion has been closed.