Someone else to do the sound

aarondcaarondc Website User Posts: 264

Film riot discuss exporting their movie to send it off to sound er guys to do their sound thing. I am a long way way from needing to do that myself, but I am curious if this sort of thing is possible in Hitfilm?

I use Sony Vegas as my NLE so am also curious if Vegas (and/or Hitfilm) can do the stuff Ryan does in the first 5:30 minutes of this video?

Comments

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

Vegas doesn't have anything like the universal counting leader natively. Vasst used to have a generator for Vegas but it doesn't appear to be available anymore so I think your best option is just to use a clip. There are some free SMPTE Leader clips made for Final Cut users because Final Cut doesn't seem to have a generator either but they'll work just fine in Vegas. You could also make your own just remember to add the audio blip on two for the 2 pop.

With Vegas 12 and 13 Sony has supposedly done a lot of work improving the export to AAF compatibility which is more or less the successor to OMF. I haven't tested it myself but I have heard some good things about it lately particularly with ProTools importing a project. In the example you posted though they exported to OMF and this is what most places will probably ask for. Vegas does not export to OMF which at first glance appears to be a huge oversight on the part of Sony but personally I'm not convinced of that. I lean towards Sony thinking OMF is more trouble than it's worth so they avoid it like the plague (Edius doesn't have the option either). OMF was supposed to be the Holy Grail of an interchange format but the reality fell pretty short of that which is why tools like SSL Pro-Convert and AATranslator exist. They both tend to do a much better job of transferring projects between applications than any of the native export options no matter what NLE or DAW you use. AATranslator is half the price of Pro-Convert and they are very responsive to feature requests and will even convert a test project for you or walk you through how to best get to where you need to be. That being said Pro-Convert has a good reputation too and I'd say either one would be a good choice. On the cheap end (as in free) there's the Vasst Trackalizer which is a script that will export your audio tracks as separate audio files which can then be imported by any DAW. Whoever is doing the work probably won't like it but it will work.

Timecode - Vegas has a timecode plugin and the easiest way to use it for this would be to apply it to the master video bus. There's an FX button in the top left of the preview window. This is the master video bus and any effect applied here will affect the entire project. There's also a HitFilm timecode plugin but it's a media generator so you would drop it on a track of its own and stretch the event to cover the full length of your project. On a side note the Sony plugin can also be applied to individual tracks and individual media events. When applied to an event you get the media's timecode.

• aarondcaarondc Website User Posts: 264

Thank you, Aladdin4d , that is a fantastic response that may take me some weeks or months to digest. Much appreciated.

I saw the hitfilm OFX plugin just now, and will also check out the native timecode plugin you mentioned also.

Interesting backstory on the exporters - when it comes time to try out some pro sound I'll have to revisit this post as a good starting point for moving forward with that aspect of the project.

Cheers.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

@aarondc One thing I forgot to mention is if you feel like tackling the audio in a DAW yourself is Reaper supports Vegas EDL  import and export natively. There's very little that doesn't get passed through correctly. The cheap standard version of AATranslator takes care of what little might not get through.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador

I would say just do your audio in Vegas. Vegas started as a DAW and added video in v.3, and Vegas has the best audio tools of any NLE. If you don't know, you can drag a .VEG file to a Vegas EDL and it will be treated like a video file--in Vegas-speak this is called "nesting." Point being you can cut your EDL, then nest it into a new timeline for audio edits. This will collapse the original EDL to a single audio/video track. 

Right. I bought the suite, so have ACID thingy, Sound Forge and noise reduction plugin. Seemed like a pretty comprehensive toolkit, glad to hear I can do it all in-app.

Thanks again @Triem23!

I will once again see if I can translate your written instruction into Vegas action ahahahaha oh god i am such a n00b.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador
    edited May 2015

Here's a video tutorial on nesting. 

Sonic Foundry's Noise reduction is probably one of the best out there. Most of the edit works in Vegas with Sound Forge only needed to "bake" in effects. I would suggest baking in Noise Reduction. 

Video tutorial on Noise Reduction:

You champion - too good. Thank you once again Triem23.

Nesting - very cool :D

edited May 2015

The Vegas version of a Composite Shot or Precomp. :D

So, I dunno what you're editing, but for films, weddings, or events I divide my project into Scenes or Sections, do each in a separate Vegas project and then use nesting to bring them all into my Master Timeline when I get to the stage where I need to see the whole thing (say, final grades and final audio).  Yay, nesting!

Yeah right. I was wondering about that. The long-term movie intent is a real one, you know 80 minutes. I was curious how that should be handled, and this nesting sounds like just the thing.

I rendered my last video (it was a birthday and very spur of the moment so the material I had to work with was let's say a fantastic lesson in what I should do next time) and then made a render template for it, and found the GPU render option. Setting that halved the render time. 6:30 seems pretty quick for a 3:30 movie @ 1920x1080, mind you there as not a lot in it.

edited May 2015

The point was, I worked out the start (intro) and the end (outro & credits) first. And would have been much calmer working on the middle if I could have done the nesting thing, so it will be a fantastic help for the next video.