Indiana Jones face melt

JPS333
JPS333 Posts: 119 Just Starting Out

hi hitfilm community, I am wondering if there is a way of creating the face melting effect which is seen in Indiana Jones and the raiders of the lost ark in Hitfilm 3 pro. 

as always, I am appreciative of all commnents, suggestions and help. 

Thank you (except the bots!)

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,579 Ambassador

That's a tricky one: of course the original shot was several layers of practical dummy being melted on-set in front of an undercranked camera. 

I think you're going to have to shoot your actor in front of green screen for this. I think you'll need to try and minimize your actor's movements, unless you want to do lots of tracking. I think you'll need several layers of graphics--actor, actor "face muscles" layer, actor skull layer, and you'll either need stock blood elements from a library or you'll need to shoot your own. From that point it's tracking and aligning layers and animating masks to reveal each layer. 

This is an effect I would try to do as a practical. Get a plastic skull a styrofoam wig head, plaster bandages and wax: use the bandage to do a rough-cast of the actor's face and front of neck, slush mold with the wax to create the "face" layer. Paint. The wig head as the "muscle layer." Figure out how to shoot the wax melting. Then film acetone melting the styrofoam, amd sue the skull for the end. Use other shots and cutaways to hide the swap from actor to wax, wax to foam, foam to skull. 

• JPS333

Thanks for commenting Triem! The CGI way may be my way for now only because I am 14 and can't really afford all the stuff and equipment for the practical, but I do defintly appreaciate the effort and thought put into both CGI amd Practial effect ideas. 

Thanks!

ill get back to you about it (if I hopefully remeber!) 

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    edited April 2015

Check out Dubstep Guns by Corridor Digital, which has a face melt at the end:

It's a very different look to the Raiders face melt, but then a CG effect is inherently going to be quite different. The Dubstep Guns face melt is a mixture of distortion effects and probably atomic particles-style disintegration to get rid of the actor's face, revealing the skull layer.

As Triem says, the trick is basically going to be having multiple layers of skin/muscle/bone/etc, and then revealing them in gradual, clever ways. :)

• JPS333

Yeah that's definelty also a good technique! Thank you!!!! 

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,579 Ambassador

Here's one of Inscape Digital's tutorials. It's for Hitfilm Ultimate 2, but works exactly the same way in 3. Notice he basically masked away a video layer to show a skeleton layer and sweeping a particle emitter to create gore. 

And this videocopilot tutorial. There's nothing Kramer does in this that's not possible in Hitfilm. 

www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/disintegration/ 

And this film riot. Again, Ryan Connally does nothing Hitfilm can't handle. 

These should give you ideas.  ☺

• JPS333