How do I edit my posts and discussion titles? [Solved. Thanks ]

PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast
edited March 2015 in General

Can I edit my posts?  Edit: Yes, I can now. :)

I see several times in others' posts: "EDIT: some other point I forgot to mention etc." and I'd like to do that to one of mine.

I'd also like to edit the title, and next to it I have the little Gear icon which gives me Options>Edit, but when I click on it I get this page:

"Permission Problem

You don't have permission to do that. "

So, how do I do that, as I want to direct people to the end of a discussion where the info and example video is, rather than force them to read from the beginning.

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,267 Ambassador

One thing about the current iteration of the forum is you can only edit posts and titles within the first hour of the initial post. The logic is preventing people from making major changes to things that have been responded to, possibly changing the meaning of a post. *shrugs*

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast
    edited March 2015

OK, well that's different to other forums I'm on (as is just about everything else), so I'd like to raise the point that it might make it useful to be able to correct mistakes or edit titles indefinitely.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,267 Ambassador

The previous version of this forum allowed that. Personally I agree with--but pointed out the design logic to note that FxHome did have an actual reason for setting things up as they did; even if I disagree. 

Oh, I thought you were highlighting the problem with the current system when you said: "The logic is preventing people from making major changes to things that have been responded to, possibly changing the meaning of a post."

I.e. it stops people (well, probably only the 'owner', so...OK?) from correcting, or realigning the meaning of a thread title/post to reflect how its scope may have evolved over time; when you actually were saying they actively thought that was likely to be a problem and prevented it?!

Well... in other forums I see people correcting things all the time, so that (days, weeks, years?) later readers  don't have to read and possibly follow wrong advice, if the consequences are expensive (time, money, whatever), so I hope they'll reconsider. :)

I'm thinking of things like: "Connect the positive wire to the 3rd terminal Oops, don't do that, it blows up the regulator: I meant the 4th terminal!" :)

• rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out

Limiting edits may not be a decision HF made to have that behavior (other than the decision to change it in the first place) since they didn't write the forum software, other than making a few tweaks here and there.

However, it could be an option they can change, similar to the spell checker issue discussed a while back.

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

Consider it done: you can now edit your own comments for as long as you like. :)

That's great, thanks. See discussion title... :)

@SimonKJones It's reverted to a one hour editing window again.

Unintentional rollback or has someone been making confusing edits? :)