HitFilm went to SXSW

SimonKJonesSimonKJones ModeratorWebsite User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
edited March 2015 in General

“My name’s David,” said the man who had accompanied me down 6th Street. He shook my hand. “You have a great time. We’re going to go to Animal Planet’s Next Cat Star party.” If a city is defined by its people, then Austin, Texas is friendly and slightly crazy. This was our first time at South By South West, a conference-festival mash-up that doesn’t quite know what it wants to be but which never fails to be fascinating. Read more >>

This is a discussion for a blog post.

Comments

• NXVisualStudioNXVisualStudio Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 688 Ambassador

Good Lads Haha, Leave Vegas something to drink now ;)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,268 Ambassador

Vegas can never run out of booze, crab legs and saline implants. 

Good to hear SXSW was a successful event! 

• NXVisualStudioNXVisualStudio Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 688 Ambassador
  • Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,720 Ambassador

Excellent! HF at NAB.

While there, walk over to the NewTek booth, make a deal to wrestle away SpeedEdit (that they just unpolitely discontinued) and license HF a compositing plugin for Lightwave.

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

"(more meat on my plate than in the whole of the UK)"

Someone should have warned you that everything is bigger in Texas! So how was the BBQ?

Welcome back and glad the FXhome folks had a great time! Hopefully one day there will be a conference near me and I'll be able to attend and meet y'all.

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

We were warned (Misty here in the office is actually from Austin, weirdly enough), but there's only so much mental preparation you can do in advance. I would say that the portions in Austin were far more sensible than in Vegas, where everything goes to Ludicrous Scale. Austin was generous but not impossible. :)

The BBQ was good! I went for a sampler, which resulted in a giant spicy sausage, ribs and some kind of steak. It was all aces. Oh, I also had no choice but to try creamed corn on Reese's insistence. It was good.

• rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out

@SimonKJones - Steak or brisket?  I'm betting if you got a BBQ sampler, it was brisket.   Good stuff :)

BTW, I live just outside of Austin, but avoid it during SXSW and other events - way too much traffic for me, though I was tempted to brave it to try and meet up with y'all.

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    edited March 2015

rgbii - Shame on you! Blowing a chance like that.  ;^) 

SimonKJones - Wow, someone from Austin working at FXhome?!? Ya can't make that kind of stuff up! Creamed corn is the bomb! I think I like creamed corn even more than peas or carrots. Now I'm craving creamed corn and I have none in the house.  :^(

So on a serious note: Is there anything you guys learned that you'll be applying to the FXhome business model? (aside from the customer having some input in the direction of HitFilm which shows FXhome is ahead of the curve)        

• ernesttxernesttx Website User Posts: 32

Glad you guys had a great time. I'm with rgbii, I live just outside Austin, too; so I tend to stay at arms length. In the old days, Austin used to be so much better to go downtown and hang out. Now, it's like you have to pay just to walk.

Anyways, I'll probably be at next year's SXSW, as I will be working for myself by then and hopefully will have something to submit to the film festival.

@StormyKnight - right now I have two vehicles, a full size truck, which is nearly impossible to park downtown, and a motorcycle, which is risky downtown, especially at night - way too many people having way too good of a time :)

Now adays, they block off 6th st and tow any vehicles inside the barricades. In the early 90's, they'd block it off when it was busy, but didn't tow any of the vehicles. We'd take my friends van downtown during the day and park it on the street, and it would just happen to have some beer on ice. You'd be surprised how quickly you can get a party started in the street when you have cold beer :)  As long as we didn't get too rowdy, the law didn't care.

@ernesttx it seems we have a number of people on the forum from the Central Texas Area.   Would be interesting to see how many and what everyone does.

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,827 Ambassador

I'm originally from San Antonio but have lived in Florida since 1984. I feel like it would be the awesomest thing to meet all of you guys. :) 

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    edited March 2015

Yeah, brisket it was indeed.

@StormyKnight - there was a mixture of stuff. Some of it confirmed what we're already doing, some of it we've been doing since 2002, and there were also lots of really innovative concepts which we'll be absorbing into what we do.

That was a very vague statement, wasn't it? :) Basically, there were no "OMG, we're doing it all wrong!" moments - if anything, it did seem like we're ahead of the curve.

The Teens Talk panel was particularly interesting, with a couple of 14 year olds talking to an audience of about 300 marketers. There was a palpable sense of panic and disbelief from many of the adult audience members, who are far more used to deciding what teenagers should like rather than actually asking them. We've always had the benefit of an active online community with a really wide age range, so we've always had a pretty good line through to young filmmakers. A lot of the other agency and brand people seemed amazed that 14 year olds could have brains. :)

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,056 Staff

@StormyKnight - creamed corn kind of blew my mind. I stuck with just pulled pork because I saw the size of those sampler plates!
    @Simon tried his best but those plates were massive :)

@rgbii and @ernesttx We had a chat with quite a few Austin natives and they agreed that the population has exploded over the last few years generally, which they weren't too keen on. Someone claimed that over 100 new people were moving into Austin every day??! (which is a shame because I kind of want to move there now but I reckon by that time people will be completely smushed together and it won't be quite the same).

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,268 Ambassador

As a side note/question a local "British" Steakhouse, Gulliver's (yes, after Swift's good Captain) treats it's creamed corn as the signature side dish. Might one assume from mind-blown astonishment that creamed corn is not a genuine British delicacy? 

Hey rgbii yeah we should find out how many there are and maybe start a get together somewhere.

I'd never heard of creamed corn before. 'Corn on the cob' is a regular thing, and sweetcorn in/on other things. But I'd not encountered creamed corn before.

My fiancee insists creamed corn is Irish. Being in possession of the greatest invention in history, I can quickly Google the history of creamed corn (depending on who you ask, Iowa or Ireland), and tell a man in Norwich while watching the sun rise in California. 

Of course an interesting facet of SXSW that has yet to be discussed is what possible collaboration could result from Fxhome staff getting to speak directly with folks from other companies... ;-) 

edited March 2015

KirstieT  yes I saw news reports last year of about 700 people a week moving here. Traffic has gotten worse, they can't build new roads quick enough. One of the main reason I decided to move outside of Austin to setup my studio.  And all the old kewl places, restuarants and bars are now gone and lots of condiminums went up in their place. It's so, not Austin, the way it used to be. 

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,056 Staff

@ernesttx - that's such a shame. I absolutely loved it - so I wish I'd seen it when it was even better! 

edited March 2015

SimonKJones- There are times, I grudgingly admit, that a teenager has shown me a thing or two I didn't know mainly involving electronics. Rather humbling. Their brains are wired for tech like mine is for music- video not so much. I've always thought you folks at FXhome were ahead of the curve- especially since the advent of the HF series.

KirstieT- I like to add a little salt to creamed corn. Don't know why but it suits my taste for some reason. Maybe it counters the sweet. Pulled pork is awesome! Dang, y'all are makin' me hungry! And you'd fit right in in Austin.......you've already got some of the lingo down. "...I kind of want to move there now but I reckon..." Nicely played. ;^) 

Triem23 - I believe creamed corn is a U.S. dish. Originated out of the south like corn bread and corn meal mush (Civil War staple). mmmmmmmmmmmm mushhhhhhhhhhhh. Although my grandma had a recipe for mush where she would make thick mush, form it into rectangular patties, roll in corn meal and fry it up in a pan 'til golden brown. A little maple syrup and oh the eatin' is good!!!!! Bacon or sausage on the side.

T23's right, we should be talking about new ventures FXhome is exploring........or is the food topic to throw us off track?!?!?!  :^o!!!

Excuse me- I have to find something to eat!

Yea, just saw a report that stated the Austin/Round Rock metro area is third in the country for percentage increase for 2013-2014. 

@ernesttx - I also moved out of town years ago to get away from the growth, but it doesn't look like I moved far enough :)

• NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited March 2015

Its funny to hear about some of the negative ways that Austin is changing because those comments sound exactly like what is happening here in San Francisco.

And I love BBQ, but we really dont have a lot of good BBQ here in northern California.

• AndrewAndrew Website User Posts: 379 Enthusiast
    edited March 2015

I will say that while it's grown (massively might I add, in the time I've been there since 2008 it's almost doubled in size)- Austin is still a relatively small town in the scope of Texas. Mainly because it rigidly refuses to grow outward. Everyone just wants to stay in downtown and hope and pray no one else wants to come. It's quite an obtuse mentality and municipal government that permeats the region.

Compare that to the likes of San Antonio or Dallas or Houston, the latter of which is over triple the size of Austin, and six times larger if you count the entire metroplex (series of interconnected suburbs)- and Austin is still in the small-time leagues.

I've no idea why ANYONE would ever live in Round Rock (the subdivision north of Austin) or the like, though. Just commit to a REAL city already or move out to the actual suburb in Dallas/Houston/San Antonio,  or the actual Texas countryside. Living haphazardly in tract housing beside an Ikea is not living at all. ;)

• RossTrowbridgeRossTrowbridge Website User Posts: 423 Enthusiast

I used to have to travel to Round Rock once a year to do training. I liked the town, once you get out of site of the Dell campus. For me, the best thing about Austin was King's Hobby on North Lamar.

• tieuellegacytieuellegacy Website User Posts: 2

I really like the pic you have of 6th street.  Austin is a different type of place.  I went to college there.  Making it a point to get back more often.  Different places.  Different people.  And my favorite music and movie shops. 

Trying out HitFilm 3.  Looks interesting.  I'm typically a Premiere guy but have used Sony Vegas and FCP.

@tieuellegacy I really enjoyed Austin. Hope to go back there some day, either for a future SXSW or simply on holiday with my family. Great thrumming vibe to the city.