hitfilm 2 express and 1600x1200 video

seaking177seaking177 Website User Posts: 2
edited March 2015 in General

(at the moment, do not have enough money for any video editing software, got express when it was promo'd)

silly question, but is the height really only limited to 1080 ? just got a new monitor, 1600x1200, for game recording related stuff and was saddend to find out hitfilm 2 doesnt support this format :(. any way to get around this within hitfilm 2 express?

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff

The Express version doesn't support anything larger than standard HD resolutions, but you can easily resize your footage to fit into the 1080 height, using the Scale property in the Controls panel.

• seaking177seaking177 Website User Posts: 2

ah! thank you, thats all i was wondering :D!

and it would seem youtube downscales the video anyway, 1440x1080 is the "1080p60" it shows with 1600x1200 video

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,282 Ambassador

I wouldn't be surprised. 1600x1200 is a bit of a strange resolution. 

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

Ohh not that strange! He's just keeping it real going old school......If you want to experience the gaming glory I have a Mitsubishi Diamond Scan crt with a whopping 75hz refresh rate @ 1600x1200, VGA and 5 wire/component video inputs in a really nice anvil road case with wheels. It's pretty dear to me but I'd let you have it at no cost and get it out to you first thing in the morning as long as you pay the shipping. Heck I'll even throw in a Starbuck's gift card. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,282 Ambassador

I rephrase--1600x1200 is often used for gaming, but it's non-standard for video work. ;-) 

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

Not interested in the monitor? You won't even have to retr0bright it.....:)

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

You're going to have to work on that pitch, Aladdin. :)

edited March 2015

Did I mention you can barely notice the lights dimming when you turn it on? It even has it's own internal degausser! How cool is that?

edited March 2015

I have no idea why thinking about an old monitor with a degausser makes me remember when Chapman University Film school hooked up some cameras pointed at a white wall for the entire winter break in a vain attempt to clear some burn-in from the old TVs and monitors in the edit bays and classrooms, but there you go. 

Another  random observation: You ever think how HDTV actually held monitor resolution back for years? I had a laptop in 2004 that was 1920 x 1200. By the time I replaced that machine all you could get was 1920x1080. Where it stalled. 

Well, until now, when we're getting 4K shoved at us where it doesn't need to be (i.e. Any display under about 24")

I had flashbacks and phantom pains from remembering what it was like to haul and set up those **** crt's all over the country and the day when word FINALLY came down that we weren't going to use them anymore. I was very happy that day!

I hear you on the monitor resolution. I just ordered 2 more monitors because I had a 4:3 LCD on a security system that died so I figured I'd go ahead and update my monitors, use one of the old ones on the security system and put the other one on the shelf as a spare. Of course these happen to be 1920 X 1200 so that's what I went looking for. Well you can still get that in a monitor but it'll cost you. I ended up getting two 23" 1920 x 1080 IPS monitors for the price of one 24" 1920 x 1200 IPS.