Complete novice requires optimum system setup

ShawnharrisShawnharris Website User Posts: 9

So I've had Hitfilm 3 pro for about 5 months now, I haven't had much time to understand or use it yet, but what I do know is every time I boot my system and start Hitfilm 3 pro, playback is clunky and stop starty, I might have some increment playback configured, I don't know, but I first want to make sure I have the minimum system requirements and that I have my system and Hitfilm 3 pro configured for best performance.  I'm using a HP Pavilion DV7 laptop, 64 bit windows 7 Home premium, 8 gig ram, AMD Phenom 2 N830 tri-core processor 2.10 Ghz, 500 Gb Hardrive with 250Gb free.

Could any one suggest the best configuration settings for my system and Hitfilm 3 pro?

Comments

• davide445davide445 Website User Posts: 306 Just Starting Out
    edited March 2015

More expert can comment, but looking at your specs your CPU is really slow, with half the speed mine 2011 old i5, your GPU ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 it's also really slow (look at cpubenchmark and videocardbenchmark.net).

Most pepole here suggest to look at gaming specs, meaning for me a good i5 and min a Nvidia 580M/675M or AMD 6990M discrete gpu for a laptop, Nvidia GTX 750 or AMD R7 260X for desktop. All above is better.

• ShawnharrisShawnharris Website User Posts: 9

Oh that's why its a bit clunky, I have got my eye on a new PC sometime, but at the moment this one will have to do, so I can understand and learn some very basic Hitfilm 3 pro concepts etc, later on I will make my more advanced movies on the new PC.  In the mean time is there anything I can tweak with what i have, I know Cubase for example recommends setting Windows System performance options for slower machines,  are there some suggestions for Hitfilm. also is there any configuration setting within Hitfilm itself to allow it to flow a bit better e.g. buffer sizes, frame, and picture settings, file types etc....

Two very basic way to improve working speed are: enable proxy files and reencode your working media in easier to decode (but bigger) formats such as ProRes or DNxHD.

Also putting all in an SSD can speed the whole thing, and you can always reuse it in your new PC.

Thanks for your advice, I will look at the ProRes and DNxHD formats when reecoding my media. 

You also recommend a SSD - that's new terminology to me, but I just looked it up,"Solid State Drive", so an external SSD storage device to house my media and project files may be better than the on borad HDD in my laptop??

As display adapters on my HP laptop I have two, AMD M88G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250, and also ATI Mobility  Radeon HD 5470, I wonder if any setting for these can better performance?

edited March 2015

5470 it's twice faster than 4250 so use Catalyst Control Center to set this one to be used with HF.

About SSD depending from your specific DV7 model you might have two available storage bays or one and one DVD reader. You can fit the SSD in the second bay in the first case or replace dvd reader with SSD in the second case. In second case a even better option is to replace dvd with your current hdd and use new SSD ad primary disk.

A Samsung 840 Evo it's a cheap solution that can fit for many use, but other people can answer better than me. 

Cheers for the advice, after experimenting with various encoding formats, and setting the media to proxy, performance is better, I'm literally at the moment, just playing a short single 3 min clip, so will wait to see when employing some of Hitfilms advanced features how my machine copes.