Twixtor and other RE:Vision plugins work with Hitfilm now

rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out

When HF3Pro was first released, it saw my Twixtor plugin, which seemed to work in HF, but was in demo mode.

Today, RE:Vision updated a number of plugins, including Twixtor, to work with Hitfilm.  It looks like they put Hitfilm and Vegas (which is what my license is for) under the same license, so I just updated my twixtor and initial tests shows it works just fine in HF :)

Note that when I first bought twixtor, it was for Vegas, which is windows only. It looks like the license now includes MAC and Linux downloads.

It seems that they also lumped Natron under the same license, which I don't use, but I guess it will work for that too.

If you have any RE:Vision plugins for Vegas - go check their site to see if they've added HF support.

Comments

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

The licensing seems kind of weird! Twixtor is good for the programs you pointed out but DE:Noise is good for Vegas, HitFilm, Resolve and Natron. There's a ReelSmart Motion Blur that supports Vegas and Resolve but then you need a different version of it to get support for HitFilm and Natron.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,270 Ambassador

Good. Tip.

I have noted  before that my Vegas install of my NewBlue FX/transitions shows up in Hitfilm and most of 'em work (Exception, Titler Pro). 

Since Sony bundles Hitfilm with Vegas, I guess plug-in makers will just adjust Vegas licenses to work in Hitfilm. It's a smart move--customers won't want to buy two licenses, and the extra value from a dual-host bundle will add value.

If Boris does that with BCC9, I will upgrade from 8! 

• rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    edited March 2015

@Triem23 My NewBlue FX show up, but either don't work (all black) or are in demo mode (big logo). They are all one's that came free with Vegas, and I've only used a few here and there with vegas.

@Aladdin4d that does sound weird. I only looked at a few and assumed they match it up with vegas everywhere, but other factors came into play. Just glad my license worked out for me :)

The twixtor for hitfilm is pretty much the same as for vegas, as expected, except for a 'TrackSource' feature that's in HF. It allows you to provide a modified version of your video where you can adjust contrast/color/whatever for better pixel tracking without effecting the output.  Looks like it could be useful for low contrast/flat footage, etc...

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,270 Ambassador

@rgbii what's interesting about my NewBlue FX is they are 2013 versions. I don't use NewBlue very often (especially since I have Hitfilm and BCC--both superior suites. In my experience, NewBlue crashes a lot. ) myself, and see no need to upgrade stuff I don't use (NewBlue remains on my system in case I go back to legacy work that used 'em. Played with a few in Hitfilm just to see if they worked. 

I would not  recommend NewBlue. *shrugs*

Been thinking about  twixtor for awhile. If a single install works in Hitfilm and Vegas, maybe it's time. 

• PierreAtRevisionFXPierreAtRevisionFX Website User Posts: 1

Just a clarification here:

RSMB for Hitfilm is broken down just like AE/Premiere version into PRO and Regular.

Only Regular show up in Vegas and Resolve right now. Pro includes Regular license. Not all features make sense for all users and is supportable in all hosts.

http://revisionfx.com/products/rsmb/features/#ofxHitNat

Pierre, www.revisionfx.com.

Yea, wouldn't recommend NewBlue either. Seemed flaky the few times I have used it.

Doesn't toolfarm puts in on sale now and then?

I don't need Twixtor often, but it's great to have. Obviously shooting with a slowmo/high frame rate camera is a better choice than Twixtor, but that's not always an option, or wasn't thought of while shooting.

Two other uses besides actual slowmo that I've used it for are:

1) when you wish some footage was a slightly different length to fit into the project (especially b-roll).

2) replacing missing/damaged frames. Ultimately what Twixtor does is create fake frames between real frames.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

@rgbii I personally haven't done enough slowmo to justify the cost of Twixtor (no offense @PierreAtRevisionFX ) so for the few times I have done it I've gone with the Avisynth + MVTools route. I've also used that same combo for the other situations you describe. While it works pretty well I'm sure Twixtor is a heck of a lot easier to use.

@Aladdin4d while I have played with Avisynth, I haven't tried MVTools.  Did a quick google of it, and it looks interesting, but yes, twixtor does look a lot easier to use :)