Canon 5D MKII Question. Lens compatiblity

ChrisMurphy
ChrisMurphy Website User Posts: 61

Hi

I currently own a T3i almost exclusively for video, with the 18-55mm kit lens, the 50mm 1.8, and the 24mm 2.8

I would like to upgrade to a full frame camera, and I see that 5D Mkii can be bought for around 1,000 dollars, with body only. That seems like a good deal, but the lenses would probably be a killer. I would just like to upgrade from the T3i. I know the 50mm 1.8 works on the 5d, not sure bout the 18-55mm and I know the 24mm 2.8 does not work on it.

What about those pocket cinemas? Are those good.

I just want to add another camera to my arsenal.

Comments

• rgbii
    rgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    edited March 2015

Look at the full name of the lenses, if they have EF in them, they should work with a full frame sensor, if they are EF-S, they are not designed for full frame sensors.   I'm doing this from memory, so you might want to google to confirm :)

I think the 18-55 is the kit lens and probably is a EF-S, so no luck there.

Richard.

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

The 5D can take pretty much any EF lens but NOT EF-S lenses like your kit lens. The Pocket Cinema Camera is good and uses a Micro 4/3 lens mount. For the money I personally would be taking a long hard look at the Panasonic FZ1000 and LX100. They're both fixed lens but they're Leica lenses. The FX1000 is 25 - 400mm f/2.8-4 and the LX100 is 24-75mm f/1.7-2.8. Both do UHD @ 30 fps and HD @ 60 fps and both are available for about 800 bucks or less. 

• ChrisMurphy

This LX100 would be good for video? Better then t3i?

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,809 Ambassador

Reading up on this Panasonic, you're gaining 60p 1080 (which the t3i can't do) and 4K video (Which the t3i can't do). Looks like it's main limit is you're going to be stuck within the limitations of the built-in lens, but, for under a grand, that's a pretty fantastic camera. The built in lens is going to go from a moderate wide angle to a mild telephoto, so unless you do a lot of long shots or fisheyes, it's a very useable focal range for video--basically in the sweet spot for shooting people.

It's second big flaw is no mic jack. Recording with onboard mics is usually a mistake, so with this camera you'll want an external audio recorder, but you can get this camera and a good external recorder for less than the 5D.

Still, that's a tempting camera.

• Aladdin4d

@Triem23 The FZ1000 includes a mic jack making either one very tempting for me at least. Then i think why not just get both? But then for that kind money that's a GH4 and maybe even a new lens...........and on and on and on in an endless debate with myself. Pretty sad really, I'll never get a new camera because I just can't decide.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,809 Ambassador

If I didn't own several thousand dollars of Canon glass, I would look at the Sony A7s... 

• Aladdin4d

Don't give me any other choices to consider.......Just don't! I'll never get any work done. 

• RossTrowbridge
    RossTrowbridge Website User Posts: 423 Enthusiast

I picked up an FZ1000 in January to replace my old FZ150. My zoom sensor was failing so the camera would lose its position and make you turn the camera off and back on to reset. My camera dying is why I'm still using Hitfilm 2 Ultimate. I had to buy a new camera instead of the upgrade.

The FZ1000 is working great. A couple of weeks ago, I shot a product video at work using the T3i and kit lens provided by my employer. When I was done, I pulled out my FZ1000  and shot some video of my daughter (it was 'take your daughter to work' day) in front of the green screen in the same lighting conditions as the video I had just shot. The FZ1000 video appears sharper than the T3i, and I am able to get a better key.

I really like the option of shooting in 4K. It scales incredibly well. I will be shooting an upcoming ballet performance in 4k, and then zooming in and panning around to create a 1080p video of the production. 

It is  handling low light reasonably well. I've shot acceptable video at ISO 3200, though I prefer to keep it under ISO 1600 (800 or less is even better.

1080p at 120 fps is fun to play with. The optical stabilization works great.

If I had the money for it, I would have probably gone with the GH4. But the FZ1000 is working great for me. I've even been able to do some astrophotography with it, picking up the Orion Nebula without any difficulty. I'm looking forward to summer when I can try to capture the Milky Way, something my FZ150 was never able to do.

• ChrisMurphy

After researching more I feel that maybe a better way to go is to buy some nicer lenses for the t3i, to achieve better images. Any thoughts?

• Triem23

The t3i is still a perfectly decent DSLR for video, and as recently as December, 2013 was one of Canon's "Sweet Spot" models. 

Investing in better glass is a good idea if you plan to stay Canon (obviously you won't want to go Nikon if you own thousands of dollars in Canon glass.) Better lenses do make a difference. 

Just don't buy EF-S lenses. Stick to EF. 

• ChrisMurphy

I will probably stick to that route. Unless some killer deals come out on the 6d. I found some for 800 bucks but just the body. I only have 3 lenses and only 1 (the 50mm 1.8) is EF so it would be a lot more then just 800 bucks

• ChrisMurphy

Anyone have experience with the Sony A7? I saw they can be purchased for like 1,100 with the lens