Free Radiance Lens Flare Preset Pack

inScapeDigitalinScapeDigital Website User Posts: 715 Just Starting Out
edited March 2015 in General

Video for Flares and New Website

Hey everyone,

I've just released my first pack of lens flares. These are made up of elements already in HitFilm, so they're still fully customizable.

Download here: bit.ly/iSDRadiance

Also check out my website at inscapedigital.com

Comments

• StephansBilderweltStephansBilderwelt Website User Posts: 523
  • StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

Beautiful flares! Can't wait to try them out. Are they royalty free for use in commercial projects as long as credit is given?

• inScapeDigitalinScapeDigital Website User Posts: 715 Just Starting Out

@StormyKnight The flares are made up completely of elements already in HitFilm, so they're already free. I just combined some of them for ease of use, so you can use them however and wherever you want.

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    edited March 2015

Guess I should have known that but always better to check.

Thank you! I'll be sifting through your website too. Looks like a lot of great info.

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

Really good stuff, @inScapeDIGITAL. I especially like how you've set them all up to be very easy to use.

One thought  for the Searchlight design - it'd be good to have a point layer set up to control the searchlight beam as well. You can adjust it by delving into the settings, but having a defined point for tweaking the pivot position would be a nice time saver, and easier for new users to discover.

Main thing I like about these is that they really emphasise that the flare effects in particular shouldn't really be used in isolation - they are always better when mixed together.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,270 Ambassador
    edited March 2015

Well, people do forget that "compositing" means putting a lot of things together to make one thing. often you'll see newer users of the software trying to make something work with one element without realizing that you need a lot of elements to make it happen.

Going off flares (nice presets, Valbarr--almost goes without saying.) for a moment to explosions--the Quick 3D presets for things like Fire Explosions and Shockwaves look ok, but nothing spectacular---if you use them in isolation. Now, stack two or three together, do a little tweaking, maybe add s stock footage fireball or another particle system, and those elements add up into something spectacular.

OK, back to flares--Valbarr I'm totally going to download your presets and see how you put 'em together. I might learn a tip or trick to steal. :-)

*EDIT* 30 minutes later--yeah, nicely done. I've chained one or two flares together before to combine elements, but you're really taken the concept to a great place with the 4, 5, 6 flares combined and some conforming effects to unify them. These are really good looking flares, and dissecting what you did to build them will be highly educational for the newer users of the software. Heck, there's one of 'em I may be dropping into my current Dalek sequence--that'll save me an hour of building and experimenting (cuz I'm lazy. ;-) )

The only thing I'm not certain of is if you should have baked in lens dirt with the flares. I guess different artists comp in different ways, but lens dirt for me usually goes in my "CAMERA GRADE" layer, which is usually the top layer in the stack--if there's anything above CAMERA GRADE" it's final conforming, like if I'm doing something for the TV stations I do titles for and I need to make sure I'm NTSC compliant. It does show the flares very nicely when solo'd out, but I'm likely to turn that particular effect off.

HOW DARE YOU MAKE ME HAVE TO CLICK ONE MORE BUTTON TO TURN OFF AN EFFECT AFTER WORKING SO HARD TO BUILD BEAUTIFUL FLARES! he jokingly shouted.

Thanks for the feedback!

@SimonKJones good idea for the Searchlight pivot point. I do plan on making a tutorial for lens flares, so I’ll probably include that tip in the video.

@Triem23 I agree with you on the lens dirt being inside the Plane, I also tend to add it on a Grade on top of everything instead. I just thought that, like you said, they looked better with the dirt when against a solid black BG. I’ll keep that in mind though if I ever make another pack!

• TsetsohTsetsoh Website User Posts: 7

Very nice!  @inScapeDIGITAL   

I have been able to create a new iSD Radiance folder inside the existing Presets folder within the Effects Panel.  HitFilm 3 Pro does not allow me to create a folder directly in the Effects panel (as per the included instructions). I'm then able to import all the flares presets.

From there I am able to create the Plane from the layer panel and drag a flare onto it.  I am able to do everything as per the instructions in the included pdf.  

However I am a newbie so please allow a newbie question:  After I have created said plane and have the lens behaving as I want how do I incorporate it into my existing footage?  It currently is the only thing visible.  If I simply adjust the opacity everything becomes washed out, with nothing usable.

I know there must be a simple answer but as yet I have not learned enough to make it happen.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,270 Ambassador

@Tsetsoh put your flares on a Grade Layer instead of a Plane, and that will fix your issue. 

@Tsetsoh Right click on the Plane, and set the Blending Mode to Add or Screen.

@Triem23 I intentionally put "Plane" in the instructions because some of the flares have Vibrance/other color correction on them. Putting them on a Grade affects video layers below it.

• TsetsohTsetsoh Website User Posts: 7

Thank you both for the answers.  

@inScapeDIGITAL   Your answer makes perfect sense.  Had I played with it for awhile I may have discovered that for myself.

I don't know how difficult that would be to add that instruction into the download package, but I think it would be helpful for others who are new to the program.  Or, possibly a quick tutorial that takes a clip, adds a flare, blends, and renders a finished clip.

I appreciate all the help provided by generous people who share their experiences, and tips.

Valbarr, you are correct, sir. Forgot you had some color grading going. D'oh! 

Have any of you guys successfully imported the Flares into HitFilm 3 Express? They don't seem to work for me.

Well, I don't have any of the add-on packs for Express, so I would assume they don't work at the moment. Your flares are using things not in Stock Express, and may use effects from multiple add-ons? 

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff

Yeah, I believe there is a bit of Lens Dirt at work in those effects, which is in the Damage Pack, so to fully use those effects you will need that, in addition to the Pro Light Flares pack. There could be some other effects in play as well.

Thanks guys, it was the Color Vibrance and Lens Dirt.

For those interested, I've uploaded a HitFilm 3 Express compatible Radiance pack to my website: http://www.inscapedigital.com/radiancepack/

• SetiawanSetiawan Website User Posts: 26 Enthusiast

Thanks @inScapeDigital, but unfortunately, still failed to import...

"One or more presets failed to import"

edited July 2015

@Setiawan They worked fine for me just now, have you actually purchased the Pro Light Flares pack?

If anyone else could try the pack in Express and let me know if it works that would be great.

Website exceeded bandwidth, whoops. MediaFire link for Express version.

• SetiawanSetiawan Website User Posts: 26 Enthusiast

Hi @inScapeDigital, no, I didn't purchase Light Flares pack, my HF3e is still basic free.

If these pack required, then it is normal that I can't open them.

edited July 2015

Setiawan - inScapeDigital just posted a link to an express version of Radiance Lens Flares which is free. See his reply above your last reply. Click on the words 'MediaFire link'.

@Setiawan In order to use Radiance, you would have to purchase the Pro Light Flares pack for $24.99.