Deus Ex Smart Vision

JPS333
JPS333 Website User Posts: 119 Just Starting Out

Hi everyone, Just before I get to the point of this discussion, I would like to thank the people who contributed to the discussion I created of the 'terminator liquid metal effect'.

Some people may be aware of the game 'Deus Ex Human Revolution'. In the game one of  your abilities is called 'Smart Vision' or 'X-ray Vision' and allows you to highlight people behind walls.

Unfortunately I cant seem to import a photo, so I have a link to an example of smart vision: http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2011/09/Deus-Ex-aug-guide-2.jpg

Its Number 2 on the list.

I appreciate any suggestions and effort put into this discussion by the community deeply. Thank you.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,795 Ambassador

JPS,  I get an error when I click on the link, but I am going to tag @SimonKJones here, because he has done at least one Deus Ex fanfilm, and should have advice for you. 

Chances are step one is shoot your location. Shoot your actors on greenscreen as seperate plates. From there you can key the actor from the greenscreen which will let you colorize, add glows, add scanlines, recolor, etc more easily.  

If your environmentcamera is moving, you'll have to track footage. 2D tracking may work, but you may need mocha.  

Go to this thread and check out tutorials on tracking, keying and mocha. Getting those workflows down is going to ve essential for the shots you've described. 

hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/4699/learning-hitfilm-tutorials-from-basics-to-advanced/p1

• JPS333

Thank you very much Triem23, I appreciate your effort. Sorry about the broken link

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,249 Staff

Here is the short film that Simon did a while back, which Triem23 mentioned:

And here is an effects breakdown/commentary with Simon, which will give you a bit of info about how he did the effect you are after: 

• JPS333

Thank you very much, this is just what I wanted