Problems with the free future city models of video co-pilot?

AramM
AramM Website User Posts: 155 Enthusiast

I have played a bit with the 3D models from the free package put out by the video copilot community a while ago.

http://www.videocopilot.net/community/future_city_pack/

When I import them, I only get one material called "Default Material" and two textures. From the number of texture files accompanying the models, I am pretty sure I should be able to add other materials, but I can't.

I have tried opening some of the models in Blender and exporting them in other formats to see if that helped, but it did not work out.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,722 Ambassador

I don't think the textures can be changed except for diffuse and specular. The models are free so their versatility appears to be limited.

• Robin
    Robin Website User Posts: 1,669 Enthusiast

In HitFilm you can specify two textures for each material, a diffuse texture which will give the model its basic color, and a specular texture, which is a gray-value map determining how reflective which areas of the models will be. There are several other types of textures commonly used with 3D models (for example bump maps and normal maps), but HitFilm doesn't support those yet.

• AramM
    edited December 2015

Thank you @Robin and @StormyKnight

Robin's answer clarifies one part of the issue, because it is true that there are more than two textures for a single material, but there's still the question of the "lack of materials". 

For example, if I look at the "mega embassy" building, I can see textures named "mega embassy primary building specular" and "mega embassy secondary building specular". This leads me to think that I should at least be seeing two materials "primary building" and "secondary building".

Some like "Future apartment"or  "Condos" have a lot of what I would guess are materials with a lot of textures for them. 

I guess time to move on,  but thank you for the input!

• AramM
    edited December 2015

For anyone interested, this may save you some time. There are only four buildings that come with two textures and what I guess is a single material: Fusion plant and Future Buildings 03, 04 and 05.

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,722 Ambassador

AramM - And thank you for that last tip!

• AramM

And with HF4 now you can take advantage of quite a few more buildings. I have only played with a few and will eventually report back, but it would be nice if anyone else is playing with those models and can report back their findings.

• Marshall2000_uk
    Marshall2000_uk Website User Posts: 176 Enthusiast

Thanks for the post, gonna download them. Not too good in Hitfilm and haven't played with 3D models so not sure what I'll find but I'll certainly take a look.