Power Rangers - The bootleg

MichaelJames
MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
edited February 2015 in Practical Filmmaking

If they made this as a real power ranger's film I would be all over this

Comments

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast

There are a ton of really, really lovely shots in this. The general vibe I also like - it has a great sense of pace. It's a shame the hand-to-hand combat towards the end is a bit duff in places - conceptually it's cool, but the performers don't quite seem up to the ambition of the camerawork and editing styles.

My favourite VFX shot is probably the tipping over and smashing of the glass table, simply because I did not at all expect it. 

I've never seen a single episode of Power Rangers, so I've no idea how this thing plays if you're a fan.

• MichaelJames

Power Rangers was cheesy and very much G rated.  This took what I loved and carefully applied adult themes to it but still retained what power rangers essentially was.  For that I love it.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,433 Ambassador

Still waiting on "Barney: Return to Darkness" ;)

But seriously, this was a little over top.  Plenty of splatter to go around.  Agree with Simon, though.  Wasn't expecting the glass table bit.   The  HUD displays were also well done.

One the other hand, it does prove that there could be life in the franchise.

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

Why do I get the feeling the bootleg was too good, SCG Power Rangers LLC filed a DMCA notice and Haim Saban  is allegedly harassing Adi Shankar.

‘Power Rangers’ Bootleg Video Yanked From YouTube

• Pencilandinc
    Pencilandinc Posts: 140 Enthusiast

@Aladdinn4d I agree. With Saban set to release a new PR film in 2016, they didn't need a 15 minute film on youtube being better than 95 minutes of whatever they've made a deal with LionsGate to send out to theatres. Same thing happened with a fan-made Wonder Woman trailer in which WW was portrayed with a classic "300/Spartacus: Gods of the Arena" vibe to it. I HOPE DC's Wonder Woman movie kicks ass the way that trailer does.

• chibi
    chibi Posts: 257 Just Starting Out

Transformers, mortal combat, halo, blade mixed into one. Its so generic.
    That wonderwoman trailer is so cheesy. Menator goes down getting hit with a toothpick?

I'd rather watch metalgear game cinematics or any of jet li, jacky chan, donnie yen action movies. Better choreo, camerwork. Not better acting though.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador
    edited February 2015

Haim Saban is very protective of his stock footage.

(A friend of mine used to be Saban's personal assistant. Apparently he's quite the jerk.)

• Pencilandinc
    Pencilandinc Posts: 140 Enthusiast

@chibi The WW trailer is full of stock elements, this may be true, but it at least attempted to treat the character better than anything the parent company has put out there. Anybody remember the non-comeback of the WW tv show from 2012 w/Adrienne Palicki? I think ever since Gloria Steinem roasted DC's nuts over taking away her powers for a brief period (it was the media blitz Steinem mounted that made them give 'em back) AND since they've developed a presence online as not being the most "diversity-friendly" entity when it comes to how they treat their customer base at cons, they are REAL sensitive over how they portray WW. But I digress...

• MichaelJames
  • Stargazer54

Woaza!  Big crew.

• Triem23
    edited March 2015

Well, this particular "fanfilm" was in a murky area. It's not endorsed or studio backed, but it had James Van der Beek and Katie Sackhoff. Now, if you don't know, SAG actors absolutely, positively CANNOT work free, and pretty much cannot work on a non-union project (unless it's a student film, but they still get paid...). 

This means this project had a budget and a full crew. This also means Saban has a certain amount of reason to consider this a "threat" to his franchise. Saban is a jerk, but he's still within his rights as copyright holder to file DCMA takedown. (Also, it's certainly not YouTube's fault that DCMA is written under a "guilty till proven innocent" structure.)

But, for example, the "Zordon of Eltar" fanfilm that occasionally has it's latest trailer pop up on these forums isn't going to earn a takedown notice. I am looking forward to that full film, but, it's acting and VFX make it quite clear that it's a passion project by a college student or recent graduate.

The one that got pulled could be confused for a "real" film. *shrugs*

Of course Saban  is still a jerk. Paramount isn't shutting down "Axanar." And they could! Tony Todd, Richard Hatch, Kate Vernon, Gerrit Graham, etc in a million-dollar Star Trek project? Yeah, Paramount could kill it with a phone call. 

Fortunately it seems  Saban took the stick from his butt, since it's back online

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,086 Staff

Looking at the BTS I agree with @Stargazer - it looks like a huge crew! Be really interested to see the budget they had on it. 

• Triem23

Well, here's an interview/article on the project, but I will tell you the producer is shading the truth. For example, he implies James van der Beek did the film for free. Not possible. James van der Beek can NOT do a film for free and put his name on it. Period. That's SAG rules and he could lose his union status if he did. 

James van der Beek can reinvest his salary back into the film as an investor, mind you. 

When you read the article, you'll see more money ended up on-screen than was spent, but this was a production put together and executed by established top-tier pros. 

As when pros doa project for fun, they can work it!  

Anyway,  pretty good article: www.cnn.com/2015/03/02/entertainment/feat-power-rangers-shankar-kahn/

• Stargazer54

@Triem23 Good point about Axanar and Paramount.  Although, I dare say the production crew won't be nearly as big.  BTW, here's the link to the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1W1_8IV8uhA&list=UUxRrQIpejUXUi8i4mAbzSlg

• Triem23
    edited March 2015

The Particle Planet Rings shot I did in Hitfilm Pro 3 Beta with the Klingons... Yeah, I had just watched "Prelude to Axanar" for the first time. 

Heh. I was a donor to the Axanar kickstarter. I want the Blu-rays ;-) . They raised over $600k via Kickstarter, and there are other investors. I am certain their budget is well over a million. Still not a lot of money, but I think the Axanar team will spend it wisely. Besides, they can reuse a lot of assets from "Prelude."

(I never got a chance to do my entries for the "Prelude" cover contest. The Winner's idea was very close to one of mine, but the colors were different.. Well earned victory--there were many good ideas.)

Back to Power/Rangers. Finally got to watch it. Pretty good. I can see why it gets so many views. Basically rather well done. A good talking head story with the inserts keeping it interesting. Some weak fights, and too much blood-on-lens for me (it rarely looks good and can be more distracting thsn immersive). But passion projects are fun. I see the director has done mostly music videos, and now he has a high-profile short to show off with. This will help his career. :-) 

• MichaelJames

Its not that we can't work for free, there are some provisions for online shorts.  Plus people can work for whatever they want if they negotiate properly.

• Triem23

Heh. They must have changed some terms-of-contract since the last time I was casting SAG. Good to stand corrected. 

• MichaelJames

Well I am a SAG-Aftra member and have done a couple web projects.  The web projects you can do deferred pay.  I was advised its better to just pay BG in those web projects so that way you don't have to track them down later if you start making money off your project.  Which means that you could have a BG actor get paid and a union member get deferred.

• chibi
    chibi Posts: 257 Just Starting Out

@Pencilandinc

Not about the stock stuff. I meant its the same old style for most movies coming out of hollywood today. Eyecandy without substance.

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast

The takedown stuff around this was interesting, specifically because it doesn't seem to happen very often these days. 5-10 years ago it happened all the time, but most companies now appreciate that it provides free advertising. I think Lucasfilm was one of the pioneers in that area, actively embracing the fanfilm community.