Quad warp corner pin

Hello!

I've been wanting to do the effect where you pin an image to the ends of your fingers and can stretch the image as your fingers are moved. I have read that the quad warp corner pin control can do this kind of effect now in HF3P with the quad warp control. Are there any examples of this yet? Any tutorials? It's a very cool effect...

Thanks
Harold

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,795 Ambassador

There are no tutorials for this specific effects, but it's easy to set up. 

First, bookmark this thread:   hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/4699/learning-hitfilm-tutorials-from-basics-to-advanced/p1

Second, search in that thread for tutorials on 2D/point tracking.

Third, in your footage, track four points--one for each finger--and assign each tracking null to a Point Layer.

Fourth, apply Quad Warp. In tge Quad Warp effect assign each corner to one of your tracked points.

That's it.  

• effectstodiefor
    effectstodiefor Website User Posts: 56

ok sounds simple enough! I'll try that today, Thanks very much!

• Palacono
    Palacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,422 Enthusiast

This is a godsend.  After following Axel's mocha planar tracking video I've got lots of points and couldn't see what to do with them.

All the videos covering the planar tracking bale out at the crucial point and/or just attach a single object to a single point.

It's such a basic requirement, I assume people aren't manually dragging and rotating planes about, so I must be being incredibly dense and missing how you attach and align a plane to a number of coplanar points.

The Quad Warp isn't really doing that, only looking like it, but I was hoping for something like dragging 3 corners of a plane to 3 points and Hitfilm aligning a plane to them and sorting out where the 4th should be in 3D space.  I'd then be able to use that as a parent for anything: texture, effect, proper 3D text on a billboard that rotates correctly etc.  But, I've not found anything to describe how I might do that at all, so if someone could explain how to avoid doing it manually, that would be great.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,795 Ambassador

Often with mocha you don't need to export all the points. Tip: if you turn off layers after solve, before export, the hidden layers don't export. 

Honestly, if I were mocha tracking for a corner I would track where the replacement goes, and use the center point to align the center of the replacement then rotate it into place. 

Well, that's a lie--I own mocha pro, so I would just use it's replace module. 

• Palacono

Well, you put your finger right on it with "then rotate it into place. " That is what I'm looking to do... :)

But how? Manually by zooming in and looking at it in all the view angles? Isn't there an automated method I'm missing? Maybe it's so basic it's not mentioned anywhere, so sorry for asking a silly question if it is.

Having got nicely calculated points (which face in completely random directions, so you can't inherit anything useful from them individually) to attach to the corners of a plane; isn't there a way to snap/align them to it? You can get almost the same results from Axel's mocha video using 2D point tracking, if all you need are a lot of individual points. Actually better if you use paired tracking points, because you get the angle and scale info out. It's what you can usefully do with them afterwards I'm struggling to locate anywhere.

Wait, what? Hidden layers? Are they the planes I want? Something like that purple tracking grid is what I want back in Hitfilm as a plane I can scale and parent etc. That and the centre point would be enough for many things. OK, I need to read up on mocha, but if it seriously doesn't have it, Hitfilm could use a method to orient a plane/texture/surface/effect in an easier way than manually moving it about and looking at the results, then tweaking some more. Is that really the only option?

A Quad Warped plane must know (or be able to find out) what it's orientation is (assuming the 4 corners are coplanar), so if you could inherit that orientation into another plane you'd be sorted! That information must be in there. We just need to get it out. :)

• JonnyMac
    JonnyMac Website User Posts: 11

Apply Quad Warp to what? I am very frustrated that HitFilm staff crow about features in their product and then do no document or demonstrate them. I followed the steps above (tracked four corners of an LCD, assigned each track to a point layer). Now what? I'm assuming that I apply the Quad Warp effect to the overlay video I want to use. When I do that my screen goes black. At one point the software (HF4P) crashed.

I am begging on  behalf of beginners too afraid to ask... please be more specific with guidance. It really shouldn't be up to the community to teach features, but the HF staff seem too busy prepping a new version (for an upgrade fee) to document and demonstrate what they have. 

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast
    edited February 2016

@JonnyMac Apply quad warp to the video you want pinned to the LCD. In the controls for Quad Warp you have controls for Top Left, Top Right, Bottom Left and Bottom Right. Twirl each of those open to reveal a Use Layer option for that corner with a dropdown box where you can choose the point layer you want that corner pinned to. 

• Palacono

I tend to just copy the position data from a tracking point (or 4) directly into the plane I've got the Quad Warp Effect on. One less layer to keep track of, but slightly more work.

• Triem23

@JonnyMac I think Aladdin and Palacono covered the Quad Warp, but I'm going to take exception to this:

"I am begging on  behalf of beginners too afraid to ask... please be more specific with guidance. It really shouldn't be up to the community to teach features, but the HF staff seem too busy prepping a new version (for an upgrade fee) to document and demonstrate what they have. "

Because--ahem, FxHome have been releasing new tutorials to their Youtube channel each and every week. And FxHome is co-producing a free 8-week VFX course with University of Arts Norwich using Hitfilm 3 express as the software, and the first week's courses covered tracking and corner pinning. Not to mention that pretty much any tutorial done for Hitfilm 1, 2 or 3 works in 4 (except particle textures changes between HF 1 and 2, so very old tutorials have a couple of odd steps). Certainly we don't want FxHome wasting time redoing too many old tutorials, since they haven't yet managed to get through everything Hitfilm has to offer (over 200 specific effects).