Panasonic GH4 4K UHD workflow?

Porq
Porq Website User Posts: 46 Just Starting Out

I'm just curious if anybody else on here is editing UHD footage easily in HF3.  Granted I'm doing this on my laptop (specs below) but the same machine takes my GH4's 23.976  UHD .mov files in Sony Vegas Pro 13 and eats them up like butter,  but when I try to edit them in HF3 the video in the viewer it WILL work, but is pretty jumpy, skipping lots of frames and when I'm simply switching back and forth between composite scene tabs with even one effect the program hangs 10-15 seconds or more.

I haven't tried creating proxy files yet as suggested in this thread by someone struggling to export UHD:

https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/comment/49119/#Comment_49119

I just wanted to bump this up to see first if anybody else found another UHD format yet which makes HF3 happy on a PC.  I've transcoded the videos down to HD .mp4's or ,avi's  for most projects so far prior to importing in HF, but there are some things I'd really like to process natively and export at 4K.  For example current set of shots from the local aquarium could stand a little noise reduction, and it would be much more effective applied to the original UHD footage in HF even if the ultimate export is only HD.  Thanks for any input on your own 4k workflow!

Laptop Specs:

Windows 8.1

i7-4710MQ (quad core 2.5)

16GB RAM

GT 745M (2GB)

Comments

• TheDigitalMedia
    TheDigitalMedia Website User Posts: 195
    edited February 2015

I have a quad  i7, almost 20 GB memory, and a gtx 980 and I still have problems even launching hitfilm pro (taking about 20 seconds). I own a gh4 and it crashed hitfilm with two 5 minutes clips on the timeline trying to make a proxy of both clips. I have no problems playing in Vegas Pro 12 at good full with that camera other than the extra still frames it adds when I input the .mov files. Playback stuttered even at half playback in Hitfilm Pro. I like to work native 4k as well but hitfilm doesn't play nice for me, I hardly used it more than 5 times since I upgraded the last update due to small quirks here and there but I really want it to make it because there is great potential with Hitfilm. If you or some else find out some positive way please let me know. I'll keep testing for you.

• Porq
    edited February 2015

Thanks.  I did testing today converting my .mov's to proxy before editing and although it takes time and a lot of disk space (a few minutes of time and about 10gb per 25 second UHD clip) at least the proxy file ran well at FULL until I added effects.  Then it still worked ok, jumped some frames but was workable.  Obviously adding the DeNoiser made the video pretty unviewable, but that's a very processing-intensive effect.

Thanks for your feedback!  I felt like maybe I was doing something wrong.  Aside from the bonus blank frames on import you mentioned (god I wish Sony would address that), Vegas 13 Pro just loves the UHD files from my GH4.   And yes please DO share if you find a format which doesn't require the proxy conversion time.   I promise to do the same!

• Mchenetz
    Mchenetz Website User Posts: 20 Just Starting Out

I have been trying the same thing. I have saved my footage in .mov format and i have been trying to edit it in Hitfilm to little success. I have the latest Alienware Area51 R2 hexacore with 32gigs of DDR4 ram and a GTX 980. Adobe Premiere and After Effects work fine. No noticable stutter or jerkiness with either one of those.

• Porq

Thanks @Mchenetz... misery loves company ;)  Hearing that both Vegas Pro and Adobe handle it fine makes me wonder what hangs it up in HitFilm.   I know HitFilm is much more GPU-centric than my Vegas is.  Again, the proxy file method yields significant improvement if you don't get TOO effects crazy.  I'll be curious to hear if anyone stumbles across a transcoding solution so I could batch convert the UHD files to something that runs smoothly sans proxy. 

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

What bit rate are you recording to? The 100 Mbps setting uses IPB compression. Without getting too technical that means it isn't good for editing even if Vegas handles it well. The 200 Mbps setting uses Panasonic's Intra AVC variant that should be better for editing. Notice I said should be:)

The blank frames in Vegas are probably because of P frames and/or B frames not being fully computed. I have a brief explanation on the differences of I, P and B frames here:

http://scriptogr.am/aladdin4d/post/lets-talk-about-frames

• WhiteCranePhoto
    WhiteCranePhoto Website User Posts: 923 Enthusiast

I got pretty good playback when using ProRes in HitFilm, even at UHD resolution. I haven't tried other formats yet, but it's likely that DNxHR and HQX could end up being more efficient -- particularly HQX, since that doesn't rely on any apple services, and it's designed to be an editor friendly intermediate codec.

• Mchenetz
    Mchenetz Website User Posts: 20 Just Starting Out

Aladdin4d the problem is that all of the 4k codecs are Inter. This leads me to an issue where i will either need to add more power or reencode my videos. The proxy render capability in Hitfilm is so slow. I feel like it doesn't use my Nvidia card at all.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,795 Ambassador

Hitfilm's proxy is probably a low-priority process sincr it's trying to render an uncompressed file to disk while leaving resources free to edit, unlike a full Hitfilm render whichs grabs as much computer power as it can. Hitfilm's proxies don't seem to be any slower than, say, a Vegas proxy.

• Porq

@Aladdin4d -  It's all 100 Mbps... I just double-checked the spec sheet on the GH4 to make sure I hadn't missed anything, but ALL 4k formats .mp4 and .mov are 100 Mbps and inter as mentioned above.  Sadly, the only 200 Mbps recording options are HD.  I'm hoping they remedy that in the GH5, because I really love portability of the camera for video work and the availability of so many manual lenses which can be easily adapted for the micro four thirds mount.

@WhiteCranePhoto - Glad to hear about ProRes, I think I've got a way to convert and test that one next weekend.  I'm not that familiar with HQX, I'll have to see if I can find the codec.  I hadn't had much luck finding a free download version of the  DNxHR codec yet, but have been wanting to try it.

@Triem23 - I agree that the proxy processing time doesn't seem any worse than Vegas.  So far, in testing proxy use, I just set all the files to 'Make proxy' and walk off to do something else for awhile.  Curious to try out some of WhiteCrane's suggestions though.

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

@Porq that explains that then!

The Grass Valley codecs are freely distributable. You have to make a free account to get them but I haven't gotten them to work in Hitfilm when the clip has audio yet. I'm still working on putting together my results of trying a whole slew of intermediate codecs with Hitfilm.

• Porq
    edited March 2015

@Aladdin4D - Thanks for the link.  Something else to play with next weekend!  Do keep us posted on your results with those intermediates.  Keeping my fingers crossed for some multimedia magic.