Atomic particles fractal layer map help

I have been following a tutorial from Majahr pictures which shows how to make text transform using atomic particles. The tutorial shows a gradient map being used to sweep across the frame and applied to the fractal layer of the texts atomic particles effect, causing the text to disperse as the gradient changes from black to white, with time.

I have not been able to replicate this effect. I am using hitfilm 3 pro and I guess the tutorial was for hitfilm 2, so the Layer property is slightly different, with some extra properties (which don't seem to be covered in the hitfilm manual), however I can't seem to get the particles to change with time whichever properties I change.  Can anyone let me know how the fractal layer map works? Thanks. 

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,795 Ambassador

The procedure is the same in Hitfilm 2 and 3. Did you remember to precomp/embed your map layers? Any effect in Hitfilm that uses a layer as a source uses the raw layer before effects, so, if your gradient plane is created in the same comp as the Atomic, Atomic sees the plane without the gradient. 

• NigelBatts
    NigelBatts Website User Posts: 3

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

• NigelBatts
    NigelBatts Website User Posts: 3

Yes, making the map layer a composite was the answer. Thanks for the help, Triem23.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,795 Ambassador

Good. Just remember if you ever have a Hitfilm effect that uses a layer as a source and it's not working as you expect, try precomping/embedding tge source layer. Glad we got ya title dissolving. 

• Majahr
    Majahr Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 567 Enthusiast

Hi.

As soon as you add masks or effects on a plan which should be used by another layer, you had to embed this effects as part of the layer by pre-composing it. Cause you now use a composite shot, the final output will be used - o/w, the original plane is used w/o any manipulations. Alternativly, you can place a grade layer just above the plane and use this layer as the map. A grade layer will "flatten" all layers beneath...but I'm not sure if this will work for all stuff like this...

Regards,

kaju