Filmmaking Procedure Using HitFilm 3 Pro Only

Kircard
Kircard Posts: 47 Just Starting Out*
edited February 2015 in Practical Filmmaking

Hi There, Thank you for all the help the HitFilm community has given me but I have a question that I'm sure may vary for some, but its about film creation in general.
When using only HF3P, what is a recommended workflow method.
For example would you: 1. import all the clips in first, 2. Do composite shots, 3. add music or sound effects 4. add titles and ending?
I know there are recommended ways to do full film completion processes but I was hoping to here from a long time user of hit-film on what they find is the more efficient way to work with this program?
I hope this make sense what im trying to ask

Comments

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast

It's a tricky question, because it does depend a bit on the nature of the project itself. A VFX-heavy project will be quite different to a VFX-light project.

Generally, my process would be something like this:

1. Import stuff, create loose edit.
    2. Create key VFX shots if they're required for finishing the edit. VFX don't have to be 100% finished at this point, but you need to get the timings in so you can edit with the shots.
    3. Tighten the edit.
    4. Go back and forth between 2 and 3 for ages.
    5. Grade.
    6. Sound.

Sound generally comes last, as it requires at least some of the visuals before it can even get started. Titles can come in whenever, really, but again depends on the nature of the titles - simple scrolling credits can be done at any point, but if you're interweaving your opening titles in with the footage itself, then it becomes more of a VFX sequence than a straight title sequence.

Really, though, workflow is about whatever works for you. Although there's some obvious 'wrong' ways to do stuff (eg, don't get obsessed with grading when you haven't even finished your edit), don't worry too much about what other people do. Keep experimenting and tweaking until you feel comfortable. Then tweak some more.

• Robin
    Robin Posts: 1,669 Enthusiast

I almost completely agree with simon here, this is the way it works for me, too. Just one thing to add: Before doing VFX, I mostly do an inital grade to get all the clips to look roughly the same ( at least if they're supposed to). Doesn't make sense to add vfx to a scene where one clip is underexposed and it's tones are way too blue, while the next clip is overexposed and orangey. I'm obviously exaggerating here, and ideally you'll have that checked at shooting time, but there are still a lot of occasions where I make a first grade to eqal the shots out, so I can make the VFX coherent.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador
    edited February 2015

I also mostly agree with Simon and Robin, but add the following:

How long is your total program? If it's short--under 5-10 minutes, maybe you'll do it all in one project. For long projects, it's usually better to work on a scene/sequence per-project, just to keep things organized. Then, in Hitfilm, you would take your final composite and embed it in a shot named specifically for that scene, and close all other composite shots. Then you can assemble all your sequence projects by loading them all into a new Hitfilm project by loading each scene as a composite shot. 

@Robin I raise a semantic point. I believe color modifications to bring footage into matching color and exposure is Color *Correction*, where Color *Grading* is creative looks. ;-) 

• Robin
    Robin Posts: 1,669 Enthusiast

@Triem23 Ah yes, I knew there was another term for it - just didn't feel like looking it up. Thanks for the correction (pun intended), I guess 

• Kircard
    Kircard Posts: 47 Just Starting Out*

That is great everyone. It has given me a couple of ways to approach my work.

The Current job I'm working on which is mainly editing with no VFX work only composite titles etc, Is giving me some grief as the program keeps giving me wait errors but this might be more for another topic and may have been covered.

I was running task manager while operating the program to see what was maxing out and to my surprise it was the "C" drive was maxing out and giving me "Not Responding" errors.

Spec appears to be ok but I'm happy for any suggestions.

Operating System
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz 44 °C
    Haswell 22nm Technology
    RAM
    16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    ASRock H97 Performance (CPUSocket) 31 °C
    Graphics
    HP v220 ([email protected])
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (Gigabyte) 28 °C
    Storage
    238GB CORSAIR FORCE LX SSD (SSD) 29 °C
    1863GB Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA)) 38 °C
    Optical Drives
    TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio