Computer specs for tutorials.

effectstodiefor
effectstodiefor Website User Posts: 56
edited February 2015 in Practical Filmmaking

Hey All,

I just went through the CG plane through clouds tutorial and couldn't help noticing how smooth the scrubbing through the timeline was compared to my own machine. I have a i7 @ 2.67 Ghz and 12 gigs of memory running 64 bit Win 7 with dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 graphics cards. Granted this system is around 6 years old... but thought it would be smoother... 

What are the specs on the machines used for the tutorials? if I need to upgrade, more then happy to, just want to make sure.

And BTW, really awesome tutorials.. really getting a much better feel for it. Tried out Fusion for a bit, but there is not nearly the amount of effects included out of the box. And the tutorials and quick release cycle of the updates is great to see!

Harold

Comments

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,728 Ambassador
    edited February 2015

Don't know what they use for the tuts but off the top of my head I would go with a better graphics card. Upgrade to the NVIDIA 700-900 series; the higher the number the better. The rest of your system is something I'm hoping to acquire within the next three weeks. [tax return! Yay!] HitFilm is a graphics card based program so the better the graphics card the better the performance. I would look on eBay or Amazon for some great prices on NVIDIA graphics cards. I've found the NVIDIA GTX 970 anywhere from $325-$350 with free shipping.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,982 Ambassador
    edited February 2015

Simon's current machine is an i7 4000-series with an NVidia 970, I think. 

I could be wrong, but I think the NVidia  260 is right at, if not below minimum spec for Hitfilm! You must be getting pretty slow performance from your old machine! 

BecauseHitfilm is GPU intensive GPU RAM is important. Dunno what your budget is, but go for as much GPU RAM as possible. A 4GB NVidia 870 would be better than a 2GB NVida 970. I have managed to run out of GPU memory on projects with lots of particles and models and had to drop my particle counts to render. 

• effectstodiefor
    edited February 2015

ok, thanks very much for the graphic card tip... i'll check out the best deals on that...

Harold

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,982 Ambassador

Harold, re-read my above post: I was adding a paragraph when you responded. The bit about GPU RAM. 

• Triem23

Also, whichever series of card (700, 800, 900), aim for the 070 or 080 version. An 880 performs better than a 960.

• effectstodiefor
    edited February 2015

on Amazon there is a 4 gig 970 card for $369... i'll probably be getting that one... I try to get max considering how fast these things are phased out!

Harold

• Triem23
    edited February 2015

Make sure you have tissues handy for after you put that bad boy in. Your jaw will go slack when you see the difference. 

• effectstodiefor

I bet it will! I looked at the specs for my current card and it doesn't even have a gig of memory.. So I am killing myself with this thing.

Thanks!

Harold