New Video for Film Riot's Monday Challenge: Commercials

A group of friends and I have entered Film Riot's Monday Challenge with this video. We were getting ready to shoot it for another event, when the challenge was announced and it fit the bill perfectly.

HitFilm was used to remove some wires.

Comments

• RossTrowbridge
    RossTrowbridge Posts: 423 Enthusiast

As a follow-up, we also did a series a vignettes to go with the original commercial. They were used to break up a series of videos we were showing to about 100 Star Trek fans.

• ZedFable
    ZedFable Posts: 136
    edited February 2015

Those are great! As a Star Trek over Star wars geek myself, I appreciated the banter. 

Where did you hear about this Monday challenge? I have a video coming up that might fit the bill too, but I can't find the announcement and rules for this one. Do you have a link?

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

Zed, the submit date for this MC was today. 

Ross, it's a fun vid, but I have mixed feelings on it. As an event video for a convention or fan meeting it's great! As a Film Riot Monday Challenge I think it needed a bit of tightening and trimming.  Fans will sit through this long intra-franchise discussions and appreciate the jokes in the product voice over, but current commercial styles would never hold a static shot of product and voice over that long. 

But I laughed and chuckled all through both vids. (Although with "scientifically plausible God-like beings" I was waiting for the guy in the Army of Light uniform to jump in with "Yeah, well if you want scientifically plausible planet killers......") so good work! 

• aarondc
    aarondc Posts: 264

PS. I pasted the time jump link but the forum software has ignored it.

add #t=268 to the URL link for the video above.

• Triem23

Ah... OK, I thought it was today--thanks for the correct, Aaron. :-)

• RossTrowbridge
    edited February 2015

I'm glad you liked it. Triem, it was originally written to be used at the Star Trek club event (where it was well received), and the FilmRiot thing was a surprise bonus. I agree with the still shot being too long. If there had been time, we could have reworked it a bit so that we only went to bowls of chips once and had a shorter monologue before the chip started flying. And I'll tell my 12-year-old DAUGHTER you liked her Army of Light costume (*grin*). It was really just a quick mock-up to use for the commercial. My wife is making one that will stand up to closer scrutiny.

We've talked about redoing it with a theater setting so it's two moviegoers doing the discussion. We'd make the conversation just generic enough that it would fit Dorito's rules for their superbowl competition.

That flying chip was my first attempt and doing line removal in HitFilm, and I was pretty happy with how it turned out.

• RossTrowbridge
    edited February 2015

I just checked and the Star Trek Fan Film we premiered at this event last year just hit 10,000 views on YouTube.

Here's a link to the (most bizarre) thread where I shared the fan film.

http://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/4780/fan-film-completed#latest

• aarondc

I  hope you don't mind me posting my effort in your thread? So much missing from it - but have submitted so it's inside the cut off (?). I am going to keep working on it to complete all the bits and pieces I had planned.

Learn so much better when I am doing something. Am enjoying HF immensely.

• aarondc

So embarrassment.

• Daniloth
    Daniloth Posts: 52 Enthusiast

@aarondc Why embarrassment?  It's a good start, and with more time you'll be able to get in the fx bits you want, the payoff, etc.

If you want comments/feedback, I'd suggest cutting the opening text down, and consider using narration there with some text to emphasize key points, i.e. the cumulative travel time.

For the greenscreen, which looked pretty solid, I think some virtual lights behind you, and lightspill effect would help sell you being there, BUT commercials are so commonly using greenscreen and not looking authentic, I wasn't sure if that was a conscious choice.

I'm curious to see your future (or finished) version.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,433 Ambassador
    edited February 2015

I didn't mind the basic green screen.  It helps sell the idea that the video is from an in house marketing project.   In fact you had me fooled  for about the 1st half.  All in all, good effort.  Look forward to the final.

My only criticism is the jump cut (at about 0:48) which could easily be covered with a medium or close up product shot.  For example, cut to a cu of his hand holding the device or to an even cheesier cu of just the device over a gradient background (and or blurred out frame of the plant interior).

Keep plugging away.  You'll get there!

• aarondc

Appreciate the feedback, keep it coming - lots of people here with so much more experience than my couple of days of video editing and day of SFX!

@Daniloth - embarrassed probably because I am nowhere near happy enough with it. Obvious things like narration for the start, my own traffic footage at the start, transitions between scenes, an example of portal usage, maybe narration for the closer, definitely tweety birds for the closer, time lapse for the closer vs static shot, lining up the zoom shot properly, getting the white balance / lighting right for the green screen, animating the porta device with bluescreen stuff. I wanted to narrate but that would mean powering / setting up the video camera and doing all that downloading / importing, etc stuff, vs my intention of buying a studio mic and recording straight to audio down the track.

@Stargazer - thanks! Definitely agree on the cuts - I did not have time to fire up Vegas and work out the HF integration stuff, so did it all in HF. In Vegas I have done maybe 3 vids, and only one with transistions but dayam that was easy peasy, so definitely for the next iteration I will do it the other way around - edit video in Vegas and get the transitions and audio right, then Right click for HF compositing.

I had dinner with the friend who did the videoing  and when I excitedly said - let me show you this vid, she had no idea at all that what she had been filming the weekend before was what she was watching - she sat there staring at the screen in disbelief. Whilst I appreciate the feedback from you guys in the know, I think video guys will pick up the green screen usage much more quickly than your average Joe. Kinda like the concert pianist cringing when they hit a D instead of a D# but noone else notices?

The biggest lesson I learnt: you can trim a lot of stuff if you want to hit a deadline haha.

I have a bunch of footage now, so can play around with it to my heart's content until I get it to the point that I am happy with it. I am thinking of turning it into a fictitious kickstarter campaign video, with reward levels and the like, and an explanation of the solar satellite array that drives the device. A KS video gives me 4-5 minutes to tell the story. Coz there's a lot more story, with plenty of opportunity to try out more amazing Hitfilm goodness.

• Cute video, love it!

• RossTrowbridge
    edited February 2015

I didn't see anything to be embarrassed about. To me, the only real weak spot was the beginning. The long scroll without any sound at all seemed a little too long. A little background "industrial" sounds would have helped sell it a bit more. When I turned the volume way up, I could hear something, but couldn't tell what it was. The 'pick and place' machine at my work stuffs all the components onto a circuit board and makes a great sound.

Keep playing with it. I've spent a lot of time tweaking our commercial. It's a good exercise.

Good luck! (but I still want ours to win... *grin*)

• aarondc

Oh yes Ross, good luck! Thanks for the suggestions - I downloaded traffic noises right after I submitted heh.

At the moment the sciencey background and the traffic footage are appropriated assets, so I am looking to also swap them out for items I have generated myself as part of the process.

• Triem23

Hadn't had a chance to watch much in the last couple of days, so I just caught Aaron's. Certainly nothing to be embarrassed about. As you continue with film making, you will become VERY familiar with the re-edit. Most of my projects go through three of four revisions (like last night where I got out of bed, stopped a render, added and keyframed DOF and went back to bed). You hit a time deadline, so we got a rough first draft. You've gotten some good notes, you know what you want to change, so go ahead and revisit and finish this. 

My main note is pacing.Some things can be sped up. Otherwise, as long as your licensing is correct, don't worry about "appropriated" assets. Whether a one-man-band or a major FX house, stock elements are your friend.  

• RossTrowbridge

Well... *sniff* neither of us won. *sniff, sniff*

But it was still fun to  have created our commercial. And since ours was originally meant for something else, I really wasn't holding my breath.