XAVC S 4K 3840 × 2160 60P convertion to DNxHD 4K?

Lars_HLars_H Website User Posts: 78 Enthusiast

Is it possible to convert XAVC S 4K  (3840 × 2160 60P )- files from a Sony FDR AX-1 to DNxHD and keep it in the same resolution ? Is there such a thing as DNxHD 4K?  I cant find this option (in Vegas 13), the highest resolution I can find is 1920X 1080. I have also tried Catalyst Prepare from Sony but there is also 1920x1080 the highest resolution option.

I am used to convert AVCHD (1920x1080)-files from Sony NEX5 with Avid DNxHD to MXF-files and use in HitFilm3 and that works very well.

I have tried to open the XACV 4K-files in HitFilm and it works (!) but what I have understand that is not the best file format to use i HF3.

Maybe I should go with uncompressed AVI or PNG image sequence?

Any ideas?

Lars H

Comments

• Lars_HLars_H Website User Posts: 78 Enthusiast

I forgot to specify my computor (if that is relevant?):

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

Intel Core i7 4930K (6x 3.4GHz)

64 GB DDR3 2400 MHz

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 OC - 3GB GDDR5

SSD 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Seagate 4TB, Barracuda

• WhiteCranePhotoWhiteCranePhoto Website User Posts: 896 Enthusiast

I think that for 4K and UHD you'll have to use DNxHR. AFAIK, DNxHD doesn't suppot 4K, and DNxHR is basically the belated sequel. 

DNxHR hasn't been available for long, though.

You could try ProRes, but thanks to the usual crapple incompetence, ProRes in windows canned be summed up as "steaming pile of _____"

• AveneAvene Website User Posts: 17 Enthusiast

You should be able to use Cineform.  It handles 4k quite well, and the files work nicely in Hitfilm. A bit pricey though, although the cheapest version should do the trick. 

• __simon____simon__ Website User Posts: 113 Just Starting Out

I really recommend giving the proxy feature ago. I use it for UHD/25p mp4 files which wont playback smoothly in HF, but once proxied work great.

1) Import the XAVC-S files into your project

2) In the media bin right click on one and chose "Make Proxy" or "Create Proxy", I'm not sure of the exact wording.

3) Do the same for all the other XAVC-S files in the project

4) Go away and come back later as it can take some time.

There are a couple of things you'll want to do first

1) Update HF3 to the Update 3 as this removes the proxy folder size limitation.

2) Go into the options and in the proxy tab change the path to a folder on your 4TB drive. The proxy files are huge.

3) If your 4TB drive has got lots of stuff on it, go buy another one and put the proxy destination on that.

• momoyemomoye Website User Posts: 2

You can convert XAVC S 4K files from Sony FDR AX-1 to DNxHD with a third-part software which has lossless conversion. After conversion, you can edit DNxHD MOV in Avid MC or Play it in QuickTime. Just load your original files to a video converter, and choose Avid Media Composer>>DNxHD MOV as output format for your purpose. QuickTime>>DNxHD MOV is also available. However, QuickTime is just for Mac version.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador

Nah, DNxHD will work on Windows. It's ProRes that's Mac only. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador

For 4K don't you need DNxHQ? DNxHD can still be a 1080 proxy. 

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

@Triem23 you're right you need the new DNxHR for for anything over 1080. Resolve added support for it but I haven't tested it yet although it's on my todo list. I'll update my codec test results when I do test it

Gah! "HR" not "HQ!" Thanks! 

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

Full disclosure - I had to look it up to make sure I was using the right letters :) There is an HQ, it's one of the quality settings for the HR codec.

The Grass Valley codecs come with QuickTime components as well as the VFW variants. Both Resolve and Vegas can render to HQ/HQX mov's and HitFilm imports my test clips flawlessly. My first try with MPEG streamclip didn't go so well however. The first issue was I only had the HQ option for export and then when I tried it, MPEG Streamclip crashed. 

Downsides to using the Grass Valley codecs are:

1. There is no third party (ffmepg or mencoder) encoder support for the codecs so you are limited to using programs that render to MOV's using the actual Quicktime framework and components. This would be most commercial editing programs like Vegas, Resolve, Premiere etc and Quicktime Pro.
    2. The Quicktime implementation appears to be single threaded so rendering will be slow.

Other than that Grass Valley HQ/HQX in an MOV container seems to be a very viable option as an intermediate codec for 4k video.

• monica66monica66 Website User Posts: 22

XAVC-S has been designed as a partner compression codec to XAVC with a more tightly compressed video signal. The XAVC-S codec uses the .MP4 file wrapper defined by MPEG-4 Part 14 for its 4K, HD and proxy files. Although Sony has created a special AMA plug-in for AVID (PDZK-MA2), providing support for XAVC files in Avid Media Composer, it can't work sometimes. You have to encode XAVC S videos again.

This discussion has been closed.