New video series/Pros of Hitfilm 3 for editing?

ZedFableZedFable Website User Posts: 136

Hello everyone- long time no chat! For the newer folks who may not recall, I used to post here a lot. I kind of dropped off the earth for a while but I have a good excuse- had a house, bought a kid, that sort of thing.

For the first time since having my son, I am making videos again. Instead of the effects-heavy shorts that I’ve done in the past, my focus now is getting better at everything else by grinding away at short but more frequent content. Like, way more frequent. Like, a new video every. single. DAY.

"Holiday Everyday" is a series I’m doing with my sister that's basically exactly what it sounds like- a quick video everyday about a holiday somewhere around the world or occasionally something that happened on this day in history. They are short and fun. It started as an Instagram video project but our ideas keep getting a little too long, so most of it has ended up on Youtube. Here are a few:

Australia day http://youtu.be/hq30pV27_gw

Apricot Day http://youtu.be/KN92El1lMfY

Memento Mori day http://youtu.be/KN92El1lMfY

Penguin Inaguration http://youtu.be/yLrXr_DiRyQ

I got two questions:

1. What do you guys think of the new series? I’d love some feedback. I know its different, and I don’t have the same sense of accomplishment I get when I polish something to death, but I really like the challenge of creating something constantly. I feel it’s making me better at a lot of stuff, but I know there’s a lot I’d change if I could go back and do them over. What do you think? I’d love some feedback outside of my frame of reference.
  2. Is Hitfilm 3 worth the upgrade if I’m mainly using it for editing right now? I just got an email reminding me that the $169 upgrade price for HF 3 will expire soon. I’m super excited about Mocha, Camera projection, and LUTs- but right now what I do is edit. I’m using HitFilm 2 express its not the worst editor but I still miss some things about Vegas. Is it worth the upgrade on the editing front? Sell me on it!

I know $169 is an absolute steal for Hitfilm 3 but money is tight as ever. If I buy it, I want to make sure I'll be getting value out of it right away and just down the road when I start making awesome effects stuff again. 

Comments

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,829 Ambassador

If you can squeeze the $169.00 without affecting your family... I say go for it.

I guarantee that you will not be disappointed. HF3P is pretty amazing. :)   

• ZedFableZedFable Website User Posts: 136
    edited February 2015

Thanks for the reply spydur. In all honesty, I'm probably going to grab it. It just seems that the editing functions aren't talked about nearly as much as the compositing (which I totally get).  Even though there are new editing features in HF3, I haven't heard anyone geeking out on them on the same level as the other stuff. 

• WhiteCranePhotoWhiteCranePhoto Website User Posts: 896 Enthusiast

That's probably because the editing stuff isn't working yet.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,304 Ambassador

Well. Not that the edit functions don't work. They just aren't as polished as the compositing functions. 

• ZedFableZedFable Website User Posts: 136
    edited February 2015

Of course, I bought it. I've stumbled on to a few issues I have questions about, but I'll put those in another thread. 

So, I guess that brings this discussion down to- whatcha think of the new series? I am officially granting an exemption to the "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all" rule for this by the way. :D

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

Thanks, @ZedFable! Good to see you back, as well. Hope you're enjoying your expanded family and responsibilities. :)

We do intend to do more tutes on the editing side. It's no surprise that there isn't a huge amount of chatter around here about the editor, because the community is built upon 4 years of people using HF1 and 2, which most people will have invested in for the compositing features (understandably). This time next year I'd expect to see a lot more people using HF's editing features as well, now that HF3 is out.

@WhiteCranePhoto - make sure you report any issues, if you haven't already done so (I know you've already reported feedback regarding your specific workflow requirements).

• WhiteCranePhotoWhiteCranePhoto Website User Posts: 896 Enthusiast

@SimonKJones - Will do. I tried to upload a project that showed one of the glitches I ran into, but the upload keeps crapping out, so that hasn't gone well :-/