Mac processor requirements for HitFilm 3 Pro

djonahdjonah Website User Posts: 6
edited January 2015 in General

I have a Mac Pro 2010 with an Intel W3690 processor (3.46 GHZ Westmere).  I see that the min is the Nehalem core.

Will Hitfilm 3 Pro run on this processor?

Comments

• PencilandincPencilandinc Website User Posts: 143
    edited January 2015

Given that Wikipedia states that "Westmere is a shrink of the Nehalem processor," as long as the Mac is running OS X Lion or better and has a video card that conforms to the standards of HF3 (there is a list on HitFilm's main site) then, yes, it should be able to run HitFilm.

By "shrink", they mean--in layman's terms--a lower powered derivative that will still perform most of the tasks of the larger parent processor.

But please consult the devs as I am neither an expert on Macs nor HitFilm's programming.

• djonahdjonah Website User Posts: 6

Thanks, I will ask the Devs about it.  If necessary I will upgrade/downgrade (if the right term) from Westmere to Nehalem 3.2 Quad.

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,244 Staff

Have you tried installing the free demo and see how it goes? http://hitfilm.com/download

Westmere is a successor of Nehalem, meaning it is newer, so I think it should meet the processor requirements. What is your GPU in that Mac?

• djonahdjonah Website User Posts: 6

My GPU is GTX680 Mac Edition, but I am upgrading to a GTX780.

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

You should indeed be fine. As Axel says, it'd be worth running the demo as that'll give you an accurate representation of performance.