How to do outline/stroke effect

Hi all, I'm trying to replicate an effect I saw on a film riot vid in HitFilm Pro 3 but am stuck on one of the steps.  Basically it's a freeze frame with a masked cutout of a character, and I need to create stroke/outline effect .  It can be seen at 4:42 in this video 

So far I've had no luck creating a hard edged outline in HitFilm but could just be missing something.  I could do it in PS and reimport the frame but i prefer the flexibility and convenience of doing it all in HF if possible.  Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,303 Ambassador

Create a plane layer the color of your stroke. Copy the mask for your person to the stroke plane. From here you have several options. 

You can adjust the expansion on the stroke plane. 

You can adjust neon glow on the stroke plane. Or regular glows. 

You can adjust the transform properties on the stroke layer--scale it up to, say, 105%. This is probably the best of these three ideas for a hard edge. 

There are a couple more options, but I leave them for you to discover. 

• EnerjexEnerjex Website User Posts: 5

Awesome mate thank you.  Expansion of mask plane worked perfectly.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,303 Ambassador

Always glad to help. 

• NamesHitfilmNamesHitfilm Website User Posts: 26

Thank you, was looking for something like this*