Best way to make bubbles?

n123q45n123q45 Website User Posts: 6
edited January 2015 in Post-production techniques

I am trying to find the best way to make bobbles (air in a circular shape inside water; i put this because idk if i spelled it right) for something im working on. I cant seem to find something that would get a circular shape and will flow in a direction. The closest to this that i have found (and im a noob so idk if i am missing something) is using muzzle flashes and editing those. P.S. I am using hitfilm 2 express

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,240 Staff

Bubbles. I would recommend using the particle simulator, with a circular texture. 

• n123q45n123q45 Website User Posts: 6

umm like i said, im a noob. how would i do that?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador

Unfortunately you can't do what Axel suggested, since Hitfilm Express doesn't have the particle simulator. 

I will put some thought into this, and if I get a good idea I will share it, but I think blood splatter is probably a good starting point.   

edited January 2015

I looked at that, but it seemed to not allow the blood to continue to keep going off screen. EDIT: i am trying to get an effect like the ones shown in aw's map biolab. 

( http://callofdutyrandom.com/images/advanced warfare/bio lab/bio-lab-aw-advanced-warfare-map-cod-call-of-duty.jpg )

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador

Here's a quick project I made with the Blood Spray effect: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4ilbwvdnsac915/Blood Spray Bubbles.hfp?dl=0

What I did was change the position of the blood spray so that it started off the top of the screen. I moved the deflector plane to it's maximum distance so that the blood would never hit it. I adjusted the direction of the blood spray so it was aiming straight down, then I used the transform property of the layer to spin the layer 180 degrees so the blood appeared at the bottom of the screen and flowed up. Finally, I changed the colors to a light blue and a white. From there you can adjust things like the spray angle and the strength of the gravity to adjust the speed of the bubbles and the direction of flow.

Hope this helps you get started. :-)

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,240 Staff

Ah, I overlooked the fact that you were using Express, @n123q45, sorry about that.

• WhiteCranePhotoWhiteCranePhoto Website User Posts: 896 Enthusiast

Since you don't have access to HitFilm's particle system, I'd suggest Blender. It's very powerful, and it's open source. HitFilm's is great, but not open source. :)

edited January 2015

yes i have blender, but blender rendering sucks-_- thanks @Triem23 that will work, just have to slow it down -_-

edited January 2015

I wouldn't say Blender rendering sucks, just that Blender is more complicated to learn to where you can get good results. 

Lower the gravity in the project I uploaded to slow it down. I was trying to fill the whole screen, but, if you want a narrower stream, reduce the spread angle. Also, since bubbles catch and reflect light, the whole thing might look better in your comp if you change the layer blend mode to screen or soft light. Glad to help. :-)