Professional quality work in HitFilm

jaikezjaikez Website User Posts: 19
edited January 2015 in Practical Filmmaking

i just purchased hitfilm 3 pro and so far i like it and it appears to be a lot of fun .  My question i would ask the regular users in here is that can this program do professional quality work?  I purchased programs say similiar to this some years ago and as i remember they werent very high quality . 

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador

At the moment Hitfilm is a bit lacking in output formats suitable for work on major feature films. However, the quality of Hitfilm's output is comparable to current television standards and lower budget features IMHO. 

As with any graphics package the skill of the artist is it's determining factor. As a demonstration I am going to link one of my shots below. This is still a work-in-progress, but demonstrates Hitfilm's Camera Projection, 3D model rendering and Particle Simulator. I think this shot (as presented) looks about as good as what you would see in an actual Doctor Who episode. Poking around YouTube for shots by artists like Orange Pekoe Media, Keegan Lawrence or Inscape Digital will show other examples of Hitfilm work that are certainly "professional quality," and the "Recreating the Videocopilot Star" tutorial by Axel Wilkinson and Simon Jones shows how well Hitfilm can reproduce an After Effects technique used in the titles of "Star Trek: Into Darkness."

• jaikezjaikez Website User Posts: 19

All i can say is Excellent ! ! l!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador

Thanks.... Let me drop in a few more excellent shots from Hitfilm users.

Bear in mind, most of these shots would have been done with Hitfilm Ultimate 2--maybe even in Hitfilm Ultimate 1! But these are some of the shots that have inspired me and shown me what could be done with Hitfilm. There's a lot more out there.

Earth by Majahr:

Invasion VFX by Phil Wesson:

WW I by Inscape Digital:

Meta by Orange Pekoe Media:

Hitfilm Flares by Ross Trowbridge:

Stalangrad by Tyler Darden:

Teleportation Experiment by Null Unit:

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

As Triem says, with any tool it's more about the skill of the user than anything else. Hence you get some artists creating incredible artwork using Microsoft Paint (they're crazy, but it shows that even the most basic tools can yield amazing results if you know what you're doing).

Make sure you pick the tools you need for the job. If there are multiple options, try them out and see which one you have a personal preference for. 

I would also point out that 'professional quality' is actually quite variable in itself. On one end you have the visual effects seen in stuff like Interstellar and Guardians of the Galaxy. On the other end you have some of the dodgier effects seen in Doctor Who and other BBC scifi shows. It's all professional, broadcastable work but the quality varies hugely. (hence I'd say that Triem's Dalek corridor shot is actually more visually impressive than a lot of REAL Doctor Who effects work)

• ZedFableZedFable Website User Posts: 136

Kind of as a sidebar to what Simon said- Even sometimes within one project results can vary widely in terms of quality. I love the new Narnia films, and they did some seriously impressive and even ground-breaking effects- both in terms of scale and technique. But there are still a few shots that make you think "What happened?" like when a scene's chromakey falls apart and you can clearly tell that the actors are in a greenscreen stage.

Hitifilm- the software and the community- are a great place to start. If something you make isn't looking as professional as you'd like but you can't quite nail why, the forums are a great place to take it. The people here are very supportive and a great asset to get good constructive feedback from. At the same time, the software is top notch- I'm willing to bet, even if you are an upper-intermediate level user, you won't outgrow Hitfilm faster then they keep inovating and adding amazing features. When they started out, they had the best bang for your buck paticle effects engine, 3d compositing and GPU accelerated workflow. Just 4 years later, they have 2d and 3d camera tracking, 3d rendering and basic animation built in and intergrated into a very effecitve, sleek worflow like no one else. Not to mention inovations of their own, like 3d projection and atomic particles- and they did all that while adding an entirely new platform (Hitfilm for Mac) and keeping the price **** competitive. If you stop and take a look back at how far things have come and how quickly, it's pretty darn impressive.

@ZedFable an aside on Narnia. A friend of mine worked on LW&W and most of the added footage added in the Extended Cut was VFX cut because it didn't hold up projected, but deemed suitable for 60 inch screens! 

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

LW&W still has the best Cats On Screen ever.