How to render a video w/ transparent background? (answered)

n123q45n123q45 Website User Posts: 6
edited January 2015 in Post-production techniques

i am making a video and i would like the background to be clear when its exported so when i have it playing, you dont see a black square around the video where the clear parts should be (ps im using hitfilm 2 express)

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff

Basically, three things are required to do this.

1. Make sure you have the transparency you want properly embedded in your timeline. Note that adding a Key filter to a piece of footage doesn't directly alter its alpha channel and create transparency, until the clip is embedded in a comp. The same applies to masks.

2. Export to a format that supports alpha channel transparency.  AVI Uncompressed or PNG image sequences, for example.

3. In the Export settings, make sure you have the color depth set to 32-bit RGBA, so that it will include alpha channel info.

I think that should do it.

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,056 Staff

Let us know if you're still having trouble here @n123q45 - but it looks like Axel has probably solved the issue :)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,272 Ambassador

Last note. Once you have rendered the video with a transparent background you'll need to check it by bringing it back into an NLE and putting something undee it. If you view the video in a media player it will still appear to have a black background. 

• n123q45n123q45 Website User Posts: 6

I will test it soon, thanks

• CatfishowoCatfishowo Website User Posts: 32

I want to do the same thing, but i still can't....

How do you change the color depth set to 32-bit RGBA?

And is Uncompressed the same as AVI Uncompressed?

• karmakarma Website User Posts: 165 Enthusiast

That reminds me...

Can Hitfilm 4 Pro import image sequences?

I tend to render from 3D Animation software to png image sequences. Can I import those natively or do I have to keep importing them into Sony Vegas Pro and render to a video file as i'm doing now?

Thanks,

Mike

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,272 Ambassador

@Karma yes, there's a small arrow next to the Import button. That's a pullout menu which should include "Import Image Sequence." Open the folder (which will appear empty) and hit OK. 

• karmakarma Website User Posts: 165 Enthusiast

Ty sir.  That now cuts out Vegas Pro almost entirely.

Mike

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

Catfishowo - HitFilm only has 8-bit Integer and 16-bit Float which can be accessed from the Project Settings page. And yes, AVI is uncompressed and the settings for that are on the Export Settings page.

karma - HF4P does have the capability to import PNG image sequences. You should be able to import them from the Import button and is listed right under 'Media'.

@StormyKnight oops, I missed @Catfishowo 's question and you misinterpreted it. 

Catfish, not on OC now, so working from memory. In Uncompressed (yes, AVI), PNG and OPEN EXR Export settings there should be a dropdown menu near the bottom of the tab. It might say Color Depth or Color Channels. Anyway, it will say "RGB." Change it to "RBGA."

Stormy, bit depth is an annoying metric. "16-bit" color depth in a project is using 16-bit precision math to calculate color bit values internally, but 32-bit depth export refers to three 8-bit color channels (RGB) and an 8-bit alpha channel (A). English is annoying that way.  

• JoshBuxtonJoshBuxton Website User Posts: 1

How do I add a photo with a transparent background?

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff

If its just a single photo, @JoshBuxton, then just use the standard Import control from the media panel. The alpha channel will be detected automatically by HitFilm. If the image is part of a sequence, then you can use the Import > Image Sequence command.

• JordanSadlerJordanSadler Website User Posts: 1

Hello everyone,

I am trying to save a series of .png files as a looping GIF basically and when I exported originally it works perfectly, but it is not transparent and the right size.

I know that I want "Source" size and also I saw where everyone says click "Avi Uncompressed" and with "Alpha" ... I cannot do that. It only allows me to choose from .mp4 or .mov as the export presets. 

Can someone please help me, do I have to download a special preset somewhere? Thank you

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,179 Moderator

@JordanSadler I am not 100% certain that GIF supports alpha and will have to check on that, but MOV and PNG sequence does.  The only reason I can think of why you can't select AVI with alpha is "possibly" you are running the DEMO version of a PRO or an unactivated EXPRESS version, but that is a reach on my part. Hope this helps a little.