HitFilm has choppy playback

ConnSonarConnSonar Website User Posts: 1

Im trying to decide if I want to purchase HitFilm3 or not but I cant get past the choppy playback of audio and video.

Im on Windows 8 AMD X6 with 6gb ram and an AMD HD6970 video card.

I have been using Adobe Premier Pro CC with footage right off my Canon T3i (.mov format) in Premier but when I import same footage into HitFilm, I can not edit the same footage because it just does not seem to process the footage and I get very choppy playback. I have tried quicktime footage and a few .avi formats and its still the same. I know I do not have the most high end system, but Adobe runs very well with the same footage.

Comments

• DreamArchitectDreamArchitect Website User Posts: 595 Enthusiast
    edited January 2015

What codec is the movie file encoded in? If it's straight out of the camera then you would be better off transcoding to a less compressed format. Since like me you are a windows user I suggest DNxHD.

For hitflim the most important component is the graphics card. I have a very weak graphics card in my laptop and that codec still works ok for me. As soon as I add effects though I do get slowdown. Remember you can also reduce playback quality to speed up the playback and use background proxy render to speed up composite shots.

• __simon____simon__ Website User Posts: 113 Just Starting Out

You could try creating a proxy of the file, simply right click it in the media bin and select "Make Proxy". It does take a while to create the proxy but in my opinion this is preferable to having to transcode to something like DNxHD as that will be in a .mov and quicktime can cause other issues. You may want to increase the size of the proxy folder in the options.

Unfortunately HitFilm has very poor H.264 performance, I'm presuming that's what your camera is creating. My guess is that most other applications make use of the GPU to do some hardware decoding where as HitFilm seems to be software only and not optimised. If you can live with creating proxies or transcoding then HitFilm is a great piece of software.

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    edited January 2015

__simon__ Actually, you can render DNxHD to other containers as well, for example you can wrap DNxHD in an .avi file, so that can undermine the limits of quicktime. It can also produce .mxf files which work wonderfully in adobe, but for some reason HitFilm refuses to properly import them.

• __simon____simon__ Website User Posts: 113 Just Starting Out

@Robin, I didn't know DNxHD could be contained within an avi. Do you know of an application that can convert to a DNxHD avi?

I'm not convinced that it would work in HitFilm as surely I'd need a DNxHD codec. The one provided by Avid seems to be only for quicktime. But just for fun I'd like to give it a try.

• WhiteCranePhotoWhiteCranePhoto Website User Posts: 896 Enthusiast

Either way, HitFilm definitely needs more output options. Right now, the output choices are extremely limited, almost to the point of making it not feasible to use HitFilm. No ProRes, no DNxHD or DNxHR, no viable intermediate that you could use in another editing application, and when I rendered a couple of clips in H.264 from 4K ProRes (or GV HQX) I got no audio in the output (HitFilm played back the audio, even though it was very choppy, but didn't render any out). I'm not sure if that's a limitation of HitFilm's output options, or a bug. 

I'm very bummed about that, because the ChromaKey effect in HitFilm is a LOT better than the one in Edius, but without audio I couldn't use the clip that I rendered from HitFilm, so I ended up just using the ChromaKey effect in Edius and rendering to H.264 from there.  :(

Can't try right now but I though I used mpeg streamclip for that. Strangley i can't find anything on the web about DNxHD and avi either. I might just as well have tricked myself into thinking I had done this... I'll definitely check this back tonight.

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

@WhiteCranePhoto - you can export to ProRes if you're using HitFilm on a Mac. Unfortunately, Quicktime on PC is quite limited in comparison.

If you need to retain quality in another app, then PNG or OpenEXR images sequences can be used - though I appreciate that's less convenient in some cases and doesn't help if you need to include audio in your export.

• WhiteCranePhotoWhiteCranePhoto Website User Posts: 896 Enthusiast
    edited January 2015

How about DNxHR or Grass Valley's HQX? Or anything else that would enable using HitFilm with other software? Right now, it's like you either use HitFilm for an entire project, or not at all. I'm looking forward to being able to edit in HitFilm, but I'm also willing to convert my workflow to using DNxHD or DNxHR instead of ProRes in order to avoid being forced back onto the wormy fruit in order to use HitFilm... though that doesn't work anyway, because of the aforementioned worms. Sigh.

Just confirmed, when exporting to avi with mpeg streamclip you can choose "AVID DNxHD Codec" to encode the video.