Can someone tell me how to do a hologram effects?

Hey there

I just downloaded and installed HitFilm 2 Ultimate, and I have no idea how to use it.

Buuuut, I've gotta do on a film I'm working on a video-hologram effect, kinda like in this pic from Avengers where Tony Stark sees video footage from all his other teammates on a hologram.

Can anybody help me do it, like a simplified version of the one I showed on the reference pic? Like teach me, or gimme (detailed) steps on how to do this?

Take into account that I'm a beginner and all this is really really new to me.

In any case, thanks a bunch for the help!

Comments

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast

This will mostly be a matter of creating the holograms as seperate video planes or 3D models, placing them in 3D so they fit in with the rest of the scene. Then color them in this cool cyan color, make them half-transparent by lowering the opacity, and switch their blend mode to add.

I don't have the time right now to go into more detail, but if no one else has jumped in to explain the procedure more elaborately by then I'll come back to this thread tomorrow 

• IdrankwhatIdrankwhat Website User Posts: 131

I have done an effect that is sort of like that where I put multiple video's and images into the 3D space and positioned them wherever  and set the transparency so you can see through them to whatever is behind.

If you want to physically sit in front of a camera and interact with the displays like minority report or when Stark moves the videos and "files" around with his hands then you need to either keyframe and manually position and move things around so it looks like you did it or your actor OR you can also use Mocha that comes with hitfilm and do more physical interactions where say a hologram is sitting in the palm of your hand or attached to an object of some sort so when that object moves around the hologram sequence follows it.

• IdrankwhatIdrankwhat Website User Posts: 131

Here is a tutorial Axel Wilkinson did for projecting a hologram from an iPhone. Isn't exactly what you want but shows the capabilites.   In Hitfilm 3 Pro there are more features so with the newest version of Hitfilm you maybe able to do a lot more.. I just upgraded and haven't had a lot of time to check it all out yet.

• MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast