Decompose big project into smaller ones

Hi,

I'm investigating Hitfilm as a replacement for Pinnacle, so far looks quite promising. Have a question, though.

From my vacation I bring dozens (actually hundreds) of videoclips and photos. Normally I create a few projects named Flight, Hotel, Animation, Portraits, Landscapes etc., work with them and finally create a Vacation project and include all projects there. Then I apply music and do some final adjustments.

How can I do something similar with Hitfilm? Seems I could not  include one project into anothe project.

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,278 Ambassador
    edited December 2014

So you edit a "flight" timeline and a "Hotel" timeline, etc, then you merge all timelines into a final master, correct?

In Hitfilm, you can import Composite Shots into other projects. You can also import a full Hitfilm project into another project (in which case it will show you a list of all the composite shots in the project, then you choose which ones to import.)

So, the Hitfilm workflow would be to do your sub-edits in sperate projects, then select all the media on your editor timeline and right-click to convert the entire editor timeline into a composite shot. and resave the project. Then you can open your master hitfilm project, "Import Composite Shot" each sub-project, then, in the master project slam all your imported composite shots onto th master editor timeline (each composite shot will be treated as a media clip at this point) to finish your final assembly.

Incidentally, importing a project as a composite shot is a semi-undocumented feature. It hasn't come up in any tutorials. However, let's say for sake of argument I import a project into another project as a composite shot. Let's assume for this example that my project has three composite shots. Comp shot 1 holds a particle texture, comp shot 2 holds an evironment map image and comp shot 3 holds a particle sim using comp 1 as the texture, but NOT using the env map in comp 2. When I import, this into another project, let's say I only highlight comp shot 3---in this case, Hitfilm will see that comp  is using comp 1 as an embedded layer... so Hitfilm will automatically bring in comp 1. Useful!

• maxim_gemaxim_ge Website User Posts: 6
    edited December 2014

Many thanks for the quick explanation, seems this is what I'm looking for! I found in the documentstion that I can import "Composit Shot" from another project but did not realize that I have to convert entire project (which I want to import) to such a shot. Looks like a trick :)

Will try to do that, thanks!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,278 Ambassador

You should be able to draw a box around the whole edit timeline with the select tool to select everything, then right-click and select "Make Composite Shot." Move all effects and properties into the composite shot and be good to go! It's pretty fast. 

• PencilandincPencilandinc Website User Posts: 143
    edited January 2015

"Incidentally, importing a project as a composite shot is a semi-undocumented feature. It hasn't come up in any tutorials. However, let's say for sake of argument I import a project into another project as a composite shot. Let's assume for this example that my project has three composite shots. Comp shot 1 holds a particle texture, comp shot 2 holds an evironment map image and comp shot 3 holds a particle sim using comp 1 as the texture, but NOT using the env map in comp 2. When I import, this into another project, let's say I only highlight comp shot 3---in this case, Hitfilm will see that comp  is using comp 1 as an embedded layer... so Hitfilm will automatically bring in comp 1. Useful!"

Axel, hopefully THIS will be covered in an upcoming tutorial (or the lynda.com class). Hint, hint!

@Triem23 Good Looking out! Thanks!

Axel actually did a full tutorial on importing composite shots. He just didn't mention you  could import  a full project as a composite shot. 

Incidentally,  you save a composite shot by right-clicking it in the media pool and selecting "Save Composite Shot."

It's a powerful  feature. Great for making your own stock libraries. Also, if you are doing animation with 3D models, I recommend importing your model, setting up animation groups, tweaking materials, setting up ambient occlusion, setting up point rigs, and doing any "pre-animation" (i.e. Spinning helicopter rotors), etc in an empty composite shot, then exporting that composite shot to the same folder as your model. Before sticking it into a scene. It can take 30-45 minutes to really dial in a model on import, and by saving that as a composite shot for later import, you never have to do that boring bit again! 

• wallnesswallness Website User Posts: 9

Does this import trick still work? I can't seem to get it working in the latest update...

edited March 2015

Are you right-clicking the composite shot in the media panel where all your assets are listed? This is where you save out composite shots. If you have anything embedded you have to save the whole project. 

To import, hit the triangle next to the Import button to open the drop-down menu and look for "Composite Shot."

I can verify this works in the latest revisions--I have done both myself today. 

• wallnesswallness Website User Posts: 9

Thank you Triem23! It does work!

Glad to help. That's a great time saving tool!