New YouTube intro for my channel

I have been thinking about a new intro for my You Tube channel, so I thought it would be a good training for my HF3 skills. Yes, I over did it a little bit, but learned a lot. 

There where some things I could not solve, so if someone has any ideas...thanks in front: 

The Energy Ball has been made like in the tutorial of John Wuopio (thank you). I could not get the text really behind the ball. I thought this is maybe because the ball is to transparent. But how could I make it less transparent without loosing the nice look of it? 

The rolling text has been made like Majhar showed in his tutorial (Besten Dank). But again I ran into difficulties to get it covered by the flighting text. As you can see in the first frames the "workshop" text ist covered by the rolling text, what looks nice, but a few frames later the "workshop" text should cover the rolling text, I could not solve this. Also I tried 3D and 3D unrolled. The unrolled one had only affect on the other text boxes. 

Okay, I still like it and to render it out a couple of times gave me a lot of new ideas. This version rendered for almost one hour. Is there a way to render out the energy ball and bring it in as a media, without loosing its transparency? 

Here it is:

http://youtu.be/mD7c7Sw3MkE

Comments

• Robin
    Robin Website User Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast

In this case, as the ball seems to be just a light effect, I would render it with a black backdrop and use the screen or add blend modes for compositing it in back again, this should give you a good look. otherwise you can always render it as uncompressed avi, a png image stream or open exr files, which can all maintain the alpha channel of a video.

The problems you're having with the not properly compositing 3D-text are probably due to the text extrude not properly working in full 3D, but rather a quick, faking 3D on a 2D layer - the only workaround I can quickly think of is using a duplicating the text layer, putting one duplicate behind and the other one in front of everything and mask them so that they appear just at the right places. Might be lots of manual work though.

• StephansBilderwelt
    StephansBilderwelt Website User Posts: 523

@Robin , Thank you for your thoughts. When you talk about the black backdrop, this is just a black plain, right? I will try this the next time.  

• Robin

Actually you don't even need that plane, as everything transparent will automatically be treated as if there was black behind it when you render it without alpha channel, but yes, a black plane will do too :D

Oh, just another general thought on the intro - with 30 seconds, this intro is really long. I don't know if you're planning to use it exactly like that, but I'd strongly advise you not to, as intros this long will put many viewers off before they even get to the content of the video. Speaking from my own experience here  Try to keep the intro to a max of 10 seconds, better around 5. In broadcasting, there is a rule of thumb that after the first 7 seconds, the listener will have decided wether to continue or switch to another station - something similar applies to online videos. Catch the viewers attention, interest, and desire to watch early on if you want him to keep watching.

• StephansBilderwelt
    StephansBilderwelt Website User Posts: 523

Thanks again @Robin. I have a second version now, but not with the alpha yet. I will try this with something new later on, because the rendering is getting a bit to much :)

And yes 30 sec. are long......I have to think about it. Maybe a totaly different one as this one has not much "action" in it. it has been more or less for myself to learn a little more about HF. So 7 Seconds......let me see. 

Here is the second one with more particles. The world needs more particles, and lens dirt!

http://youtu.be/SjjwLJ5Mxyk

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,729 Ambassador

I agree with Robin, shorter intro. What you've got looks like a great foundation though!

• Robin

@StephansBilderwelt "[...] and lens dirt!"

Completely in line with SimonKJones here!