How to animate effects in Hitfilm with your music

I like to let things happen with the flow of music.  Wouldn’t it be nice if you could animate an effect parameter of your choice in Hitfilm by your music?

In an article (pdf) on my website I try to explain my workflow to do just that with free tools from the Queen Mary University of London and from myself.

Tested with Hitfilm 2 Ultimate and Hitfilm 3.

You can download the article and my tools for free from my website :

http://www.ipadtouches.com

Choose the menu option "Hitfilm".

Merry Christmas!

Comments

• jsljustinjsljustin Website User Posts: 72

Thanks Hitvideo! Much appreciated..

It would be good to have more help or tutorials on animating various things to music.. I do predominantly music videos, so this / these sorts of things would be really great, I mean, to know how to do more animation and effects that are synced to music.

Anyway, thanks. Am checking out your link now. Cheers!

• HitVideoHitVideo Website User Posts: 11

Thanks for your comment.

Did you find my (free) tools (2 pages in the Hitfilm top menu) and the article?

My tools don't need installation (just unpack the zip files to a folder of your choice).  The only thing you have to install is Sonic Visualiser (free) and the Beatroot Beat detection plugin (free) from the Queen Mary University .

Did you see the video for the general concept and to show you can do it in minutes after setting things up the first time?

Have you tried the workflow yourself and  did it work for you?

• jsljustinjsljustin Website User Posts: 72

Hi HitVideo,

yes, got all the tools from your website. Must say it was straightforward - your website. Watched the video, made sense. I haven't gotten around to actually doing any video work the past few weeks, but I will let you know how I go with the tools you provided when I do.

As far as I can tell, your workflow and tools will make it much easier to do keyframing that syncs to music.

Thanks!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,275 Ambassador

Huh---that's pretty neat! Thanks!

• ColleenMorrisColleenMorris Website User Posts: 1

Could somebody let me know if HitVideo's download is reliable please? Like a moderator or someone? I would very much like to use it but downloading files off the internet is not always the brightest idea.

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,867 Ambassador

@ColleenMoris Your are 100% right to be carefull when downloading things from the net, it can be a nasty place, that said if you are careful and take measures then it can be a great resource. These are my tips for considering if a source is safe or not.

- Look at the user on Hitfilm forum, in this case @Hitvideo has been registered since Dec 2013, meaning it is unlikely this is a rouge account.

- Consider the information being posted, in this case it is very detailed with a lot of work, clearly someone wanting to steal your data etc will just send you to a site to download something, in this case they are showing a good video.

- Does it feel right? if not don't download.

- Don't be first, see what other users have said, use that information to form a judgement.

- is the download only via a third party downloader helper, if so Avoid, these are often trouble.

- have good security software, that is up-to-date.

Generally as a rule companies won't indorse third party software unless they are partnered with them.

Good luck.

• PaulHeshPaulHesh Website User Posts: 121 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2015

Another option is once you download it.... upload it on https://www.virustotal.com/ to scan it for viruses.

Hitfilm Keyframes Importer.zip  0/54

VEGAS-open-new-in-olderversion.zip 0/54 I renamed this one so I would know in the future what it is. 

Hesh