Needing a Catch Light

MichaelJames
MichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast

I am looking into a catch light and was looking for suggestions.  I've been looking into how they can really make an actors eyes come alive in a scene and was wondering if anyone had recommendations.  Do you use a light specifically as a catch light or do you use a bounce or something?

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,249 Staff

Its going to depend entirely on the lighting setup you are already using for the scene. It will also depend on whether you want a round or square catchlight, as to what you use to create it.

• rgbii
    rgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out

As Axel mentioned, it really depends on you setup, but most any light behind the camera (or near there) should show up in the eyes. If it's a close up, a reflector just out of frame can be used to create a nice catch light too.

• WhiteCranePhoto
    WhiteCranePhoto Website User Posts: 928 Enthusiast

Anything that's bright will work, as long as it's in the actors' line of sight. I often use a gentle fill light to get a catch light, and quite often it's enough just to have the actor looking in the direction of something bright, even if that something isn't bright enough to illuminate them.