auto correct on forum.

rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out

My browsers auto spell checker works on most sites, but hasn't been on the these forums since they changed. Is this true for anyone else?   Just curious.

Comments

• DigitalEdDigitalEd Website User Posts: 8

Not working for me to.. i spell very bad with out it..

• KadriKadri Website User Posts: 171
    edited December 2014

Doesn't work here too. This is one of things i don't like this forum format.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,307 Ambassador

Heh. I would have to screen-record my phone to properly explain all the issues I have on this forum on it. 

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    edited December 2014

No spell checker for me either. I always keep a tab open to dictionary.com now. Trouble is, whenever I check a word I have it spelled correctly anyway.  

Is't kwite frusstrading.   ;^)

edited December 2014

I fael your pain ;)

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
  • LiquidUniverseLiquidUniverse Website User Posts: 2

No spell checker here either. And yes, this is a rather unusual format for a forum. I kind of like the minimal thing it has going, but it looks somehow incomplete.  Simple Machines forums are a good option, imo. They have more features and a nice range of themes to choose from too.

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,058 Staff
    edited December 2014

Hey everyone - thanks for the feedback on needing a spell checker on the forums. 
    The web team are still working very hard to address any issues you all have with the forums in terms of usability, and it seems the addition of a spellchecker would be popular. Over the holidays it's unlikely this will change, but the web team can have a second look at it in January to see whether it's possible. 
    Thanks again for all the useful feedback guys - it's helping us improve the experience every day. 

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast

@KirstieT I think actively adding a spell checker to the forums might cause other inconveniences, as it might behave differently than those that members here already have in their browsers - also please don't force it on those who don't like to use one by building it into the website! Just adding compatibility for in-browser spell checkers would probably be best imho.

• rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out

What @Robin said. Most browsers already support it - just need to figure out how to turn it on :)

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast

Quick peek through the html inspector shows that the text field isn't actually an html text field, but rather an embedded iframe with not much in it. This is probably the problem, the browser can't properly detect a field with editable text (because just from the markup, there is none) in it so it doesn't turn on spell checking. Very interesting design, judging by the html code... Probably neccessary to enable draft-saving and so on.

This is curious- I was just replying to spydurhank's activity page, spelled peruse wrong and it was caught by.....................ready for this?...........................a spell checker!

paruse   <<<<<<<<<didn't work here though, see? lol

• rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2014

I used firebug to look at the HTML <body id="tinymce" ...

and it specifically has 'spellcheck="false"'.  I changed it to true and it started spell checking, so it should be an easy fix for them.

Hmmmmm, well I hope they see this thread! 

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,243 Staff

Thanks for the info guys. the thread is seen, but the web guys are away on holiday at the moment, so they will probably take a look at it a bit later on, when they get back.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,307 Ambassador

Honestly, with the odd behaviour I get in this forum on my Samsung Galaxy SIII, whether using Opera, Firefox, Dolphin or the default browser (autocorrect issues. cursor jumps--suddenly jumpingback a line and putting words in the middle of the previous sentence): behaviour that doesn't occur in any other site or forum... Look I'd have to point a camera at my phone screen and record to properly describe the anomalies I get.

• mark_emark_e Website User Posts: 190 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2014

I have a general rule of thumb with my developers, it is so novel that it's going to give us competitive advantage in which case knock yourselves out go develop.  Is it a commodity that everyone uses like a forum, content management, email, hr systems etc.etc., just use the best of what everyone else uses and don't code anything.  Personally I wouldn't be creating bespoke forums when there are plenty out there that work just fine and don't break basic stuff like browsers built in spell checkers and spending hours working out how to do cross platform :-)  Let the developers concentrate on the product not the admin ;-)

• rikkiloadesrikkiloades Staff Website User Posts: 161 Moderator
    edited December 2014

@mark_e

We actually use a very common open-source and popular PHP-based forum system: http://vanillaforums.org/.

The discussion/reply editor is by default a basic text field which makes formatting very difficult. So we have added a very widely used open-source rich text editor called TinyMCE: http://www.tinymce.com/. This editor is used by lots of off the shelf content management systems including Wordpress which is very widely used.

We have not built a bespoke system. In fact the whole system is pretty much configured in the default way. Its perhaps a nice thing that we've managed to configure and theme it in such a way as to make you think its completely bespoke.

Beyond what has already been mentioned the only modifications we have made so far is:

1. Written some custom CSS to make the theme tie into the rest of our site and branding.
    2. Made the user account system log you in automatically when you are logged into the rest of the website.
    3. Written a few small plugin tweaks to change (for the better we hope) some quirky behaviour with the default system.

As we become more familiar with the system we may need to configure what we have slightly better or write bits of code to fix up quirky behaviour where we can.

You have pointed out some of the problems with bespoke systems. To keep things balanced from the other side of the argument, when you adopt a off-the-shelf system they can present their own set of challenges including:

1. You have to largely live with the conceptual models, features, bugs and behaviour of the system.
    2. If you wish to keep the system upgraded in manageable way you have to keep any modifications to an absolute minimum. And the software needs to be kept up to date to keep the website secure.
    3. They tend to be less integrated with other existing systems you have.

Really, when deciding whether to code bespoke software or use an off the shelf system it all comes down to using the right tool for the job. Which one meets that goal depends on a lot of contextual factors including: feature requirements of users, technical requirements and the the skills and resources in the team that needs to maintain it. In general though using the smallest and simplest possible piece of software you can, but not too simple gets you a pretty long way.

Back to the issue of auto-correct not working. We will have a look into why TinyMCE is removing the autocorrect behaviour and see what we can do to get this working with it. As somebody has pointed out already after looking in the web inspector, TinyMCE seems to turn off auto-correct for some reason. Bear with us while we investigate as it might be off for a reason.

• rikkiloadesrikkiloades Staff Website User Posts: 161 Moderator
    edited December 2014

So I spent a little time today looking at whether spell checking could be enabled. It seems it can and its just turned off by default because TinyMCE also provides a custom spell checker which you can hook into an override. The default is just to turn off both in an effort to make you choose. 

Anyways its turned on and seems to work in the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox and IE.

Enjoy!

• mark_emark_e Website User Posts: 190 Just Starting Out

Yay great news, I confirm it's working as expected :-) this is dear to my heart as my spelling is atrocious !  Thanks for sorting it!

My dad used to make me look words up in the dictionary.

As yew con cee, it helped me lern to shpell kwite goodly. Now, if could it only grammer correct. lol

• StephansBilderweltStephansBilderwelt Website User Posts: 523

The German guy is quite happy with the auto correct ;)

StephansBilderwelt - I'd say "Glad to hear it" in German but I would just spell it wrong.   ;^)

Thanks. It works :)