subject in color, clothes in black and white

Hey there,

Im working on this special effect that consist of having my subject in color and his clothes in black and white.

Ive duplicated my original media, then inside of it, ive used the chroma key to isolate the skin from the clothes, than i've applied the black and white presets.

The result is not that great, the clothes appears with less saturation but not totally black and white, is there another way to make it ?

Thanx in advance for your replies.

Comments

• foleyproductionfoleyproduction Website User Posts: 110

Update lol i thought about doing the opposite, chroma keying all the clothes separately in each layer, and at the bottom of these layers, just add black and white on the regular footage, unfortunately, clothes's color are too close from the subject's skin or other clothes and make it impossible to do ...

• rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2014

The clothes being close to skin tone will probably be an issue with most variation on keying.  Any way to reshoot with more difference in the clothing?

If not, maybe post a frame as an example. Might be easier to give suggestions.

Maybe look at the individual RGB channels to find which one has the most difference in brightness to key by.

Worse case - roto.  If you're using HF3P, wIth the new mocha features, will be easier previous versions.

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,241 Staff

The most effective, and perhaps also most obvious, way to do this is to have your subject wear black and white clothing.

As far as doing it in post, the Leave Color effect is specifically designed for this sort of thing, but if your suject is wearing flesh-colored clothing then there isn't any way to use a color selection to isolate their skin. In which case you will have to manually roto the shapes, using mocha Hitfilm.