CG aircraft flying through clouds - exploring unified 3D space

SimonKJonesSimonKJones ModeratorWebsite User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

It's a new tutorial! As Axel pointed out elsewhere on the forum, we wish we could pump out tutorials every day but that's not quite possible until we finish work on our time machine.

In the meantime, here's a brand new tutorial focusing on 3D models, particles and HitFilm 3 Pro's unified 3D space.

Enjoy!

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,275 Ambassador
    edited December 2014

Ok, first, that's a nice shot. As always, your explanations are cogent. Another excellent tutorial! 

I did facepalm myself at the realization that I am always too dumb to scale down my environment map layer. Sigh. 

• chibichibi Website User Posts: 257 Just Starting Out

Cool! Any chance of the project files with the airplane replaced with a helper or something?

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,720 Ambassador

Awesome!   Thanks, Simon, et al.

• NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

@chibi I'll see if I can do a version with a public domain model tomorrow morning!

Thanks, guys! 

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,827 Ambassador

Awesome tut Simon, love it!!! :)

• StephansBilderweltStephansBilderwelt Website User Posts: 523

Thank you Simon, this has been fun. I had have some problems with the propeller, I think this is because the Mustang has not been leveled in the first frame. Also I still have trouble with the sliders in the 3D settings, they have almost no effect at all. Okay, but great tutorial.I have learned again a lot - still just a beginner: 

http://youtu.be/RKclNX402WE

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

SimonKJones !!!!

This one revealed a whole bunch of things I could be doing differently and in an easier way. You da man!!!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,275 Ambassador

@StevensBilderwelt Hey, that shot's also looking good! You have so many billowing clouds there, and that nice orange grade that I really feel this is a low n' slow night fight with a lot of fog scattering the light from the flames and explosions you can hear on the soundtrack! I like your missle fire, too!

A few quick notes:

I know the RPM of the P-51 engine is 3000RPM (source: http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/mustang/mustangtest.html ), but I'm not certain how that translates into propeller speed, (3000RPM=50 RP second?), but, you should crank up the propeller speed to maybe 10 Revs Per second (the prop is gonna spin slower than the engine depending on gear ratios. I don't know that, so I'm guessing here) and turn on motion blur for the model layer. This should get the propellers looking better.

Otherwise, either increase your particle life by a few seconds, or fade out a few seconds earlier--we can see the particles hitting end of life at the tail of the shots.

When you say the Mustang isn't levelled in the first frame, you you mean it was saved in a strange position where it's not importing facing front on the 0,0,0 point? If so, either adjust the "World Position>Orientation" property to level the plane before animation, or, you can do something like open the model in a 3D modeller, level it there and resave the mesh! Blender is free and I've had to use it to level some Turbosquid models in the past.

Again--that's a good looking shot that's just a tweak or two away from being a great shot! Especially for a "beginner!" ;-) A great thing about Hitfilm is it's ease of use. I see a lot of really good looking work from "beginners" on this forum. :-)

@SimonKJones thanks. Even 3d primitives would be good enough if a free model is not available.

• StephansBilderweltStephansBilderwelt Website User Posts: 523
    edited December 2014

@Triem23 Thank you, I will get back on it. With the propeller I thought I did put motion blur onto it, but maybe I should increase the rotation of the propeller (it is at 10 right now). 

Do you think the leveling is the reason that the propeller is not staying in place? I will try this as well. I do have blender, but I only use it every now and then and when I use it again, I normaly have forgotten how to use it :)

Take a look at the individual prop group's transform properties. You may need to nudge the anchor point and origin of the prop a bit. I have had to do that with a heli. 

• DreamArchitectDreamArchitect Website User Posts: 595 Enthusiast

TF3Dm has several C130 models

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

@chibi I have uploaded a simplified version of the project which you can now download here: http://hitfilm.com/files/placeholder-version.hfp

It's essentially the same setup as the finished shot, but with a few elements removed due to licensing reasons (basically, the aircraft and the environment map image, both of which were from Video Copilot's Jet Strike pack). There should still be enough of the project to see how it all fits together, however, and if you parent a 3D model to the placeholder text, or replace it in the comp, you'll be good to go.

@SimonKJones thanks! This will be a good study for  hitfilm newbs like me.

While the flashy 3D model and clouds are the visually impressive part of this tutorial, I actually think that the techniques used to rig up the camera are probably the most important things to take away from it, as a beginner user. And those are still intact even in that simplified project.

Once you wrap your head around setting up rigs like that, it'll make pretty much everything you do considerably easier!

Gotta back Simon on that one. He's right. A model, two static particle systems an environment map isn't a hard tech setup, bit understanding camera rigging like that gimble rig is very key to effecive animation. In most shots you really shouldn't be just moving the camera directly. 

It's also remarkable how simple the gimble rig is compared to trying to do that camera move any other way - eg, animating the camera directly. Back when I first started working in 3D, waaaaay back in the day, I didn't use rigs as I simply wasn't aware of it conceptually, and it makes everything seem impossibly difficult.

Conceptually, it's kinda similar to using embedded composite shots and texture maps to control effects. In some cases you could do things manually, but embracing the structure of HitFilm's layer compositor can really reap rewards.

Factor in the new proxy system and the workflow benefits become pretty immense in some projects.

• BobDiMarzioBobDiMarzio Website User Posts: 632 Just Starting Out

@SimonKJones.

Thanks a million Simon !!! Since I own Jet strike, I'll be able (hopefully) to replicate your tutorial

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,720 Ambassador
    edited December 2014

Hopefully this works . . .

Been working on Simons airplane through the clouds tutorial (which was awesome, BTW).   So here is my first attempt using a vintage Ron Thornton model in place of the prop plane.

http://youtu.be/mLyd-nNHCZY

Not sure what the crazy flashes are when the clouds hit the model at about :18.   Looks pretty funky.

So here is the revised version, more to taste.

http://youtu.be/sgHk3nFlHhI

I changed the texture on the two emitters for the clouds and tried to stop all their motion.  Looking better, but can't figure out what to do with the excessive flame coming over the engine at about :20.  Thought of using some sort of mask but couldn't sort that out.

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

That is a strange anomaly with the cloud and ship interaction.

The second vid looks really good despite the flame over the engine.

In the second one, you're using a particle system for the rocket jet, yes? A small sphere emitter lined up with the exhaust nozzle?  Couple thoughts : if your frame textures are set to billboard, that might make the texture "skew" and bleed. Try changing the textures to align to motion. If it IS a sphere emitter and it's inside the nozzle particles may be overlapping the nozzle geometry. Maybe see if intersect layers is checked and toggle it. You may also just need to nudge the emitter a few pixels. Looks good, though. Flame overlap didn't bother me at all. 

Thanks for the commments.  

I have two emitters coming off a circle shape that is parented to a point (that is also parented to the ship).  Good idea Triem, to make the emitter a sphere shape inside the engine nozzle.  I assume I will need to make the inside of the nozzle a collision object (using a "force" I suppose) to keep the particles from passing through the side until  they are out the nozzle.

I don't have the file in front of me, but I don't think I had billboard turned on.   But I know I have align to motion for the texture enabled.   Will experiment some more over the holiday break.   Thanks for the ideas!

I don't think you'll need to set up deflectors for the jet. Make the sphere just a tick larger than the nozzle and sit the sphere less than halfway in--think like an ice cream cone. Cone trajectory with a narrow radius. A circle emitter works, too, but I think the sphere works a little bit better. You have a great jet set up, and I think just a tiny bit of tweaking will take care of the bleed.