Is this video card going to be able to run HitFilm 3 Pro?

NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
edited December 2014 in General

We have a work computer that I need to run HF3 on. I'm mainly doing green screen and color grading, no heavy particle effects or anything. Is this computer going to hack it?

NVIDIA Quadro K600

i5 3.2ghz

4 gigs of ram.

Comments

• jsljustinjsljustin Website User Posts: 72

Sounds like the specs are enough to me, NullUnit, but others more knowledgeable could confirm for sure..

I ran Hitfilm 2 ultimate on a laptop with a Nvidia GT 635M, with 8GB ram and a 2.4 GHz i7.. yours is in the ballpark.

You will possibly want to have your realtime display renders at a quarter or so for most of your work, if needed only going full before rendering. Just my thoughts.

• DreamArchitectDreamArchitect Website User Posts: 595 Enthusiast

There might be an issue with it being a Quadro which I beleive is not a consumer card. You need the likes of @SimonKJones to weigh in on this one

• davide445davide445 Website User Posts: 306 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2014

In my understanding HF is using OpenGL for hardware rendering, meaning its similar to a game engine as hw requests, this appear to be confirmed from system requirements.

So a Quadro card it's probably a waste of money, also since there is no support in HF of the special drivers that make such professional cards more stable and performing.

K600 its also a old card, you can have much better performances for same price level using new consumer cards Nvidia GTX 750Ti or AMD R7 260X.

About your specific usage depends if these features are working mostly on CPU or GPU. If CPU you can benefit also from RAM upgrade to 8GB. About GPU above general considerations are still valid.

@davide445 I get the impression this is a PC at his workplace that is already configured rather than him wanting to buy the card. But what you said I beleive to be correct. I'm sure I've seen that somewhere else in the forums that the Quadro cards are not really hitfilm friendly.

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

We don't explicitly support Quadro cards, as we focus on NVIDIA's more consumer-targeted hardware.

That said, at IBC a couple of years ago I was running HitFilm 2 on a Quadro card and it was super fast. Unfortunately I don't know the specific model, but it handled HitFilm just fine. Quadro cards do vary in performance, though, just like non-Quadro cards, and I'm not familiar enough with the product line to say exactly how the K600 would perform. A quick Google suggests it's a low-end Quadro card.

There you go then, what do I know 

@SimonKJones

You are differentiating optimization for both Nvidia and AMD cards in HF3P or optimizations are specific for Nvidia and AMD rely on the standards?

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    edited December 2014

We prioritise both NVIDIA and AMD and try to support both equally.

• NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2014

It is a more low end card because its low profile and in a tiny case, but its open gl4.3 and HF3 wants open gl 3, I beleive. It seems like it could probably do it.  

Does anyone know of a consumer Nvidia that is comparable? I'm restricted by needing a low profile card that will not use a lot of power. I think the case has a 200w psu. 

edited December 2014

Some googling give me this list of LP single and dual slot Nvidia and AMD cards on GTX 750 level, all with lower than 80w power draw.

Best low profile video cards available (December 2014)

Others more expert can maybe give you a more specific suggestion.

• emma24xiaemma24xia Website User Posts: 85

Does HF3 have a reference that we can check if our video card can suit the video editing task or not? That would make things easier.

If you're looking for low power consumption and low profile, the NVIDIA 750ti is the one to look at.

• RossTrowbridgeRossTrowbridge Website User Posts: 423 Enthusiast
    edited December 2014

Just for giggles, I just rendered a particle intensive project in Hitfilm 2 Ultimate on both my laptop with a 570m and my work desktop with dual Quadro 600s. The laptop took almost exactly 7 minutes and the desktop with the Quadros took 8:55, so two minutes  more. The Quadro 600 definitely isn't very impressive.