3D model cloning (answered)

RobinDaviesRollinsonRobinDaviesRollinson Website User Posts: 40
edited December 2014 in Post-production techniques

I've been following Simon's excellent tutorial on using Particle Systems to clone objects - such as creating an "army" etc.

The problem that I have is that I can't stop the items from propagating!

I've tried it numerous times, with the tutorial running on the other monitor, and duplicating the instruction slavishly, but with no success.

The 3D model is a .obj DALEK (well, I do live near Cardiff...)

Any ideas?

Comments

• DreamArchitectDreamArchitect Website User Posts: 595 Enthusiast

RobinDaviesRollinson If you mean that you want th army in place and the start an no more to be created for the duration of the shot there is a setting you need to set to zero, unhelpfully I can't remember the name of it but watch the tutorial again as it will be in there I think. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,264 Ambassador
    edited December 2014

I think you're skipping the step where you keyframe the Emitter>General>Active property to shut off the emitter once you have all your Daleks spawned. 

That was Simon's walk through on the particle  city, yes? I think he left that step out of that video. Set a keyframe on frame 2 to turn off the emitter, then set particles per second so your army spawns on frame 1.

Also, if you  animate the model--turn the head, wiggle the eyestalk--then set the Particle system>Texture source>Layer to Animated and set the frame numbers to the whole comp shot, your clones will use the model's motion. In this case you may alter the Emitter Active keys to spawn over a couple of seconds so your clone movement staggers a bit (which will look cool), but that will eat up resources and slow things down a lot. 

• RobinDaviesRollinsonRobinDaviesRollinson Website User Posts: 40

I did follow the instruction for that part: turning on keyframing, advancing a few frames and then de-activating keyframing.

@Triem23, thats the one. 

@RobinDavisRollinson did you deactivate the emmitter or the keyframing. If you deactivated the keyframing you would have removed keyframes and so the emitter would continue to emit. I'm not able to access HF3 at the moment to test this but @Triem23 is very good at this type particle 3d stuff so he's really your man to help

I deactivated the keyframing, which is the way that I interpreted the tutorial.

However, I'll go back soon and try your suggestion! Fingers crossed... and thanks.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,264 Ambassador
    edited December 2014

Just noting that responses appeared while I was enlarging my first post with a tip the tutorials didn't cover. You may want to re-read what I wrote above.

@DreamArchitect ty! Heh, You know, I spent about a month figuring out how to fake 3D model particles in HFU2 (A lot of composite shot embedding and keyframe copying)  and another month working on the hour-long tutorial on how to do it, and stupid Hitfilm 3 comes along and makes that workflow obsolete. Which is fine, because it's SO much easier in HFP3 and it looks better. 

@RobinDaviesRollinson Ah that will probably be the issue then. What the keyframing does is set the value of the keyframed paramater at any given point in the timeline. So the idea is that once you keyframe the active value on the  emitter it will emit particles until you keyframe it to off. If you deactivate the keyframing all the keyframes for that property are deleted. I think if you go back and try it that should work.  

Thank you so much - I did just that and it now works!

Very happy bunny now!

Yeah, what DreamArchitect said. It's all about keyframing the active property. Now, if you want your army to advance, go ahead and link the LAYER (not the emitter) to a point, and you can move the whole army around. I am working on a tutorial that will go over linking particle systems together to allow the entire Dalek army to fire procedural weapons if you want to get some mass extermination going. 

In the video I link below, the fighter wing, it's thrusters and missle fire are all linked particle systems working together. The banking of the fighters was done by animating the model- source-layer as discussed above. (The ring and explosions are all particle systems as well, so it shows that you can do a hell of a lot of cool stuff just using particle systems) 

@RobinDaviesRollinson Thats great. Glad I was able to help. 

See @Triem23 s post above. Told you he was good at this stuff. He must have a serious system though to handle all that at once.

Hell, no! I'm on a 2010 model laptop. That i7 i7 2760 and Nvidia 580m were kickass then, but I was working on that animation in  pieces--rings first, rings off, fighters/thrust/weapons, all that off, explosions. As soon as I turned everything on, I had to cut the ring particles in half or my GPU would overload and crash the system. That's a 12 hour render, which is why I haven't gone back and fixed my grade (that background nebula is supposed to be green, not cyan.)

@Triem23 I have an i5 of a similar age and an ATI Mobility 5400 series. There is hope for me yet 

@RobinDaviesRollinson hopefully we'll see the results on the moviewall soon