New PC build

duffmanduffman Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 235 Enthusiast

Begining to think about a new PC build. I get to build myself a new one every 3 years. My old one gets retired to my office at  my buisness. Trying to decide if I want to go dual Xeon, more of a workstation, or single i7. This will be used almost exclusively for audio and film production.

Most likely an ASUS motherboard, Nvidia 900 series vid card, Crucial 480 SSD main drive, and a minimum of 32 gigs of ram. Ancillary HDs, and burners, I already have.

Thoughts?

Duff

Comments

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

I think you're on to something. That's close to what I was looking at but I won't be able to rebuild mine for another few months.

Are you going with the latest Windows OS?

• jsljustinjsljustin Website User Posts: 72

Sounds good duffman. I like the nvidia 970 GTX, just got one, obviously the 980 is better, but the 970 is the best bang for your buck at the moment.

Good luck with it, sounds like you will have a great machine :)

• duffmanduffman Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 235 Enthusiast

I was really hoping someone would chime in on

"dual Xeon or a single i7"

There seems to be an arguments both for an against each.

Duff

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

Looks like your budget is bigger than mine, but I've been blogging about my hardware upgrade throughout the year: http://simonkjones.com/tag/diy-gaming/

I haven't got round to writing up my latest addition, which is a 970 card. Which, incidentally, is a bit of a beast.

To sum up: an i7 plus a 970/980 will be awesome.

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

@Duffman- Have you considered replacing your hard drive with one of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171212070718?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I think I'd go with the i7 btw.

• jsljustinjsljustin Website User Posts: 72

@duffman - my only thoughts about an i7 is that if you are thinking of an i7, the haswell i7 might be worth a re-think, I mean, I have one, but it is a much more "green" CPU, with extra power-saving CPU states. I have spent the last day finding out, and then disabling, the power-saving states on my haswell, as it seemed to be wreaking havoc on reliable real-time performance. Others may not find this, but having a steady-state clock on the haswell and I get great performance, not so with the constant "gear-changing" of the haswell. From what I have read, intel made the haswell i7 more extreme in terms of its ability to go into alternate, lower voltage / lower clock speed states.

• MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    edited December 2014

Dual Xeon if you have the money.  I mean honestly, you could upgrade this once and then never need to upgrade for a bit.  You'll be able to chew through 4k footage very easy. 

i7 is nice but if you are doing editing then don't play around with kitt gloves.  Go all out if you can comfortably afford it.  If you would of got a dual Xeon 3 years ago, all you'd be doing is upgrading the graphic card right now. 

That said the Xeon line is due for some revisions.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,307 Ambassador

If you're going to keep the comp for at least three years, I'd say do the Xeons.

GPU is tricky--if your software supports dual GPU's, then paired SLI 970's would be sexy. I know Hitfilm at the moment doesn't support dual GPU's, so a 980 would be the way to go. Also, I think Hitfilm is optimized for consumer/gamer cards, so, again, a 980. Since it's not going to take advantage of something like a Quadro.

What other software do you use besides Hitiflm? That will make a difference in recommendations

Thanks guys!!!

My OS will stay Win7 Pro for awhile. I know I wont have any driver issues, and I know how it handles audio. Will I be working with 4K? I dont know. Can I bog my current system down? You bet, load a ton of samples and VSTi's in an audio project then start adding effects. Or batch process some audio in the background while working on a comp shot in HF.

There will only be 5 or 6 programs used most often: Reaper, HitFilm, Vegas, Komplete, Progression, and a new audio editor WaveLab or maybe Sound Forge. Not installing my ancient version of Audition.  Attached to the system via USB, 3 different midi controllers, an MCU, printer, and a Allen &Heath MIXWIZ4 16 channel mixer. Yes I can currently record 16 tracks at once no problems. For 5.1 mixing I use Vegas and on board sound card.

More research needed.

Duff

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,307 Ambassador

Ok, for that software rig an i7 and NVidia 970 or 80 is good.. You don't need anything higher in GPU--nothing will take advantage of dual cards or workstation cards. A Xeon is nice, but it's gravy. 

Plus you can always have 1 processor and then add a second one later if you go Xeon ;)

For me I looked at Davinici Resolve's guide... and their software they recommend for 4k Xeon multi core.  Now as a game player i use an i7 but if i were to build a second rig... which if i get this new job i definitely will... I'd make a Xeon beast.  All my computers have a Transformers theme to their name.  That one would be Metroplex or maybe Fortress Maximus.

Omega Supreme? Alpha Trion? Vector Sigma! 

If you have a Soundwave, you need a Ravage.

www.amazon.com/Transformer-USB-Flash-Memory-Drive/dp/B004CI906G

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow is order day.  As much as I would love a dual Xeon, a system with them would be more overkill then what this one will be:

i7 5930K Haswell, Evercool titan cooler, 32gigs Corsair Ballistic DDR4 2400,  Gigabyte GTX980 dual DVI -1hdmi-1displayport, MSI X99S Mpower motherboard, Plextor 512 M.2 SSD, Rosewill 80+ 800W modular p-supply, Blackhawk MidTower case. AND one of my friends just gave me a 24"monitor.... I will running 3 of them.

That should hold me for a while.

Duff

Yeah, that's a pretty good rig as-is. :-) 

duffman - Once you get it all together, let us know how it runs, please!

A friend of mine recommended a couple things you've got planned.

This build was almost a nightmare.  Got almost all the parts on Wednesday and had them together in an 1  1/2 or so. Tried posting the BIOS.....blank screen. AHHHHH!!! Did some quick research and MSI several versions of x99 boards having a problem posting with more then 1 stick of ram installed.

Hmmmm....So last night I took all but one out...POST!!! Go to bios and save config. Had to add one stick at a time and save the new config in bios each time. 32 gigs ram install, 512gig M.2 module, OS-system drivers-vid driver.

I am still waiting on 3 - 1TB western dig. black drives to finish. Hopefully here tomorrow.

No testing or bench marking yet but, from end of Bios post to Windows 7 Pro desk top....5 seconds. And that is without "fast boot" enabled.

Duff

edited December 2014

Thanks for the update, Duff. At least you found the solution! I'm going to have a former Best Buy Geek Squad member help me. Don't know if I would have figured that problem out on my own.