A couple of suggestions for updates

JackOHareJackOHare Website User Posts: 3

The new release is being used more and more, but a few kinks keeps me using  both HitFilm 2 Ultimate along side HitFilm 3 Pro. In so doing, I notice that in the new version HF 3 Pro, that the name of the current open file is no longer displayed in a Title bar. In HF 2Ultimate, it always appears at the bottom of the window. Small but not insignificant difference when working on several versions of a project and needing to know where you are at. I love HF 3 Pro and it will continue to be my go to NLE for small projects - yet I am so glad it plays well with Vegas, Thanks for all you are doing at FXHome - keep up the good work. - Jack in Ohio, USA

Comments

• rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2014

Yea, I've found it annoying too that the filename is not at the bottom, with an * if it's unsaved.

It looks like the current method available is putting your mouse over the save icon at the top - the current filename will pop up, and it will have [unsaved] at the end if needed.  This is usable, but if I've already clicked on 'Save As', it doesn't work, while the old method did, which was nice if I'd forgotten the version number I used in the previous filename.

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

I find I have to agree with you guys. I used the title bar quite often when comparing one version of a project to another. Naming files with successive numbers and tracking which number I was on or needed to go to was very convenient..

Also- only one instance of HF3U can be open at a time? It saved a whole bunch of time when I didn't have to set 3D models up for every project and I could open one instance of HF2U and copy and paste a model in a new project. I do miss that but perhaps it's not feasible now? 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,307 Ambassador
    edited December 2014

I also miss having multiple instances of HF open at once. I could set something up in instance B while letting instance A render.

@StormyKnight one thing I do with 3D models is load, texture and rig my models (all on the 0,0,0 coordinate) then save the ring as a composite shot before I move into animation--then I can import the composite shot into a new project and my model is ready to go with it's textures, effects chain, and any points I've added for rigging thrusters and weapons. Heck, if I've set up particle thruster or something, I'll save that in the composite shot as well! I'm lazy. Build once and re-use forever....

As long as we're wishlisting here, I still want to be able to assign "targets" for lights, cameras and particle trajectories to points. I also want to be able to link particle force and cubic deflector positions to points. Finally, spherical forces and deflectors.

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    edited December 2014

Triem23 - Thanks for the model tip but I may be down for the count. The GeForce 555M isn't playing nice with HF3- seemed it was actually running better before the update yesterday. Now it's click and wait....click and wait.....click and wait, wait, wait. Render time has nearly quadrupled from what I was able to do in HF2.....that's taking a HF2 project and putting it in HF3.

Frustration is driving me back to HF2. Maybe once I get my desktop up to specs I can use HF3 but that'll be a few months from now. 

:^( Rather down today.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,307 Ambassador

Ah, but I did the same thing with my models in HFU2.I am seeing where you are coming from, however. 

When I use the built in texture sources i.e. rock debris in the particle simulator, render time is roughly 6 minutes rather than 4 hours with Blender created rocks. I blame it on Dell for their graphics card recommendation when I read the specs for HF1. I told the guy I wanted something that would surpass performance- you know- planning ahead for 'future features' (say that 10 times fast) and me not knowing enough about graphics cards at the time, went along blindly. So now I've done proper research. I may gut my laptop too and rebuild it if it's possible.....after the desktop rebuild.

I just tried copying a 3D model from one project and pasting it into a new one and it worked! I didn't close the program while doing so. 

Yeah, I didn't think about that, but it makes sense the clipboard is persistant as long as the software is open.

I still recommend loading, rigging and setting effects chains on models then saving them as composite shots. Saves me a lot of time in the long run.

That'll be my next try. Probably over the weekend sometime as I've got a couple movies I've been wanting to see on tap for tonight and tomorrow night. The latest Apes movie and Guardians of the Galaxy. woo-hoo!