Gimbal VS Cine rig

Hello there!

I'm about to start filming on the street a bit more shooting commercials and doing corporate work so I need a proper way to stabilize my camera. I'd love to hear your opinions on buying a gimbal vs investing on a cinema rig for my camera (Sony a6400).

I know both gimbal and cine rig are two different setups for two different types of shots, and honestly I'll end up getting both of them, but my only concern is that my camera lacks in-body stabilization so I'm pretty sure the footage will come out shaky using a cine rig (one with a top handle, a side handle and the follow focus).

I love the idea of using a cine rig because it'll allow me to use manual focus easily with the follow focus as well as using an external monitor/recorder and a bigger matte box. Also, the cine rig looks way more professional than a gimbal, and clients are often amazed when they see a cine rig on set.

Only one of the lenses that I have has optical stabilization, so I might get decent shots with the cine rig on that particular lens, but I'd want to be able to use all the lenses I have, especially the anamorphic one -which by the way is the most prone to provide shaky footage-

What would you do?

Tagged:

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,415 Power User

I note several gimbals have follow focus attachments, including some from DJI, Manfrotto, Moza and Zhiyun.

I'd prioritize quality of shot over looking cool. If your camera lacks IBIS and only one lens has IS, and you intend on doing a lot of moving shots the gimbal will serve you better. Cine rigs are better for attachment points if you need to attach lights, mics, etc.

Make sure a gimbal has a 1/4" screw at the bottom. I picked up a DJI gimbal that didn't. So I returned it. The screw mount at the bottom lets you attach the gimbal to a monopod, and that'll let you do some cool pseudo-crane/boom shots. Additionally, there are brackets you can buy that screw into the bottom of the gimbal with a cold-shoe mount, and that'll let you attach a mic or light to the bottom of the gimbal.

A possible configuration (and I own this pair) is a Moza Slypod Pro paired with Moza Air/Aircross 2. The Slypod is a motorized monopod with app control and motion control via app. The Air/Aircross also does motion control over the app and links with the Slypod. The Slypod also has mount points to attach to a tripod. This gives you a pretty portable 4-axis mo-co setup. Mo-co is a different style than handheld/mobile, but gives you options. Depends (as always) on what you're shooting.

• laconstantedeplanck
    laconstantedeplanck Posts: 123 Enthusiast

Thank you so much Mike. Based on your input I'll prioritize the gimbal first, as most shots require some sort of movement and the lack of IBIS is something to have in mind. I'm writing down your suggestions about the screw at the bottom (which it's a great idea by the way) and also your mo-co setup. Thanks!