Freehand masking question

is it possible to create a perfectly straight line, or better to say, completely horizontal or vertical. I don't think you can control the position of individual nodes, or disable certain kind of movement, or count on a snapping feature on the screen itself. But maybe there some kind of trickery you could use?

Comments

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,209 Expert

Make a rectangular mask, then switch to the freehand mask tool. Right click on a mask point and select remove. Do it again for another mask point leaving you with two points left that are exactly on the same axis, either horizontal or vertical depending on which mask points you removed.

• Dimipapa
    Dimipapa Posts: 449 Enthusiast

Thank you that works. Had no idea you could do that with the cookie cutter type masks.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,415 Power User

@FilmSensei hacky - but good tip!

• Gelqone
    Gelqone PolandPosts: 161 Enthusiast
    edited January 21

I use a lot of masking and this feature would be great. It could work as in other programs - holding Shift key while moving mouse horizontal/vertical could lock second axis.

When creating freehand mask you can select two mask points and drag proper scale of selection box to zero. This is the best way to have perfect straight mask line for now.

• Dimipapa
    Dimipapa Posts: 449 Enthusiast

It would be nice. In most cases hitfilm lets you drag objects with the arrow unfortunately that doesn't help with the freehand tool. VEGAS Pro let's you disable types of movement, Camtasia has a useful snapping feature on the preview screen, something I've suggested to the team to look at before.