How do I make color flood over a map?

Tijoda
Tijoda Posts: 9 Just Starting Out*

I've seen this done in some YouTube videos and I can't find a tutorial for it. Should I be doing this in PowerPoint, HitFilm Express, or most of the work in Adobe Photoshop? My goal is to start from the city of Babylon and show its spread of influence to Rome, Egypt, India, Islamic countries and even China. A big map! Which the base map is being tweaked in Adobe Photoshop. Thank you for your assistance.

Best Answers

Answers

• Tijoda
    I will be using Express. I will try this. I hadn't seen the expansion button before, but now I know what to look for. I will make a composite shot. Can I alter the mask using points to cover the entire scope of the reveal, and then just key frame it so that the reveal moves systematically as I do the voiceover? Thank you for such a quick response. I spent hours scanning YouTube videos yesterday. Your assistance is greatly appreciated. I will get back to it later tonight. Thank you!
  • Tijoda
    @tddavis I'm trying. But I am missing something. I'm able to free form the mask beautifully. But I am not getting the small dot to expand to many countries over the course of frames. I am grateful for your comments. I already see one of my mistakes, as I reread your instructions. I am keyframing every 2 frames. I will now change to 10. I did start with an anchor point. But I have never done anything before using a "path" button. But I am still trying. I think I now see I must do, set a new the x,y,z at the 9th frame. Let me see how that works. Thank you.
  • tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,255 Expert

@Tijoda I will try and make a small video of the process this evening just in case.

• Tijoda

I can easily expand a simple circle. But I am not successful in understanding how to expand north, south, east and west without it looking erratic. The last animation should expand to the entire map, including China. Is there a tutorial out there that can explain this to me? Thank you.

• tddavis

@Tijoda Ah, I have a better understanding of what you are trying to do now. I think creating a plane with the color you want and creating your separate shaped masks. Key frame the Opacity to turn them all to 0%. Also key frame the expansion. Chose the point you want the first mask highlighted and key frame the Opacity to whatever level lets the map still show underneath and move and key frame the expansion until the color just fills the area. Repeat with the next mask and the next. You will probably need to turn on the Opacity on the previous with another key at zero so they don't 'build up' in the overlay areas. I'll try and get a video together later.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,401 Power User

@tddavis gave one solution which works, but Expansion also works in a circular fashion from the center. For asymmetric movement you'll need to keyframe the mask points.

Now a Hitfilm mask must have the same amount of points across its entire life. You cannot add or subtract points without messing up the animation. Therefore I suggest you start with the EXPANDED flood, and work BACKWARDS through your edit and treat it like shrinking the mask. This way you can start with the detailed mask and not worry about having to add points to follow borders.

I don't know how long the animation is but I usually start keyframes 1 second apart, refine on 1/2 seconds and continue with smaller moves from there. But every 10 frames isn't bad.

Make sure you use the freehand MASK tool, not the freehand PATH tool. The Path tool is intended for the Neon Path and Stroke effects.

This @FilmSensei tutorial should help.

• tddavis

@Tijoda I made a project and recorded with my OBS but sadly all I got was black screen. I knew better than to update right before I recorded!😖 Anyway, here is the project file in case that might help you out after you watch the video Triem23 linked above. Jay makes some very useful one and a lot more detailed than what I can do.

• Tijoda

@Triem23 Thank you for that video. It gave me information that I did not know. It was very informative. It didn't cover all that I needed to understand, but it was a VERY good place to start. I am going to try your suggestion (working backwards). I put it off for the last 4 days because I needed to feel a sense of accomplishment (it has frustrated me), so I continued with my editing. Today, appears to be the perfect day to return to this because I have now run into a new problem, lol (but not really lol, more like a cry out loud). I have posted my new issue in the community. I will not disturb this thread with introducing a new topic. But just to let you both know, @tddavis that I am still working on this.

@tddavis , the file that you last sent did not have anything that I could open. Which is what I believe you were trying to say. You made a gallant effort, but it did not record. Thank you both. I appreciate the team effort to improve my learning. Now to the execution.

• tddavis

@Tijoda Sorry you could not open my Hitfilm file. I did not think you ight be using a version that wouldn't. I went back and opened the file here and recorded a walkthrough with it after I got my OBS settings straightened out. Hope this will play for you:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6cvnr9phqcrnw2v/2023-01-27%2011-01-14.mp4?dl=0

• Tijoda

@tdavis Excellent! I could open it and you showed me so much detail and the repeated steps helped me too. I am a visual learner so I will watch this quite a few more times. Step by step. Question: In adobe Photoshop I have the option to select "inverse" to cut away outside of the object. My brain is a blur with information right now, and struggles with my ability to export, so I apologize if this is a "basic" question. A moment ago, before viewing your presentation I was trying to create a transparent mask that would remove all the expansion outside of the expanded area on the mask layer below? In order for me to be precise in my land borders, such as water masses. I tried the reverse option as recommended by @Triem23 but when looking at the whole map it was unsuitable when brought down to a lower size. Working in smaller areas as you have done looks like a better fit for this project. I do see that you have used the expansion to a negative number as well. I just made the mistake of taking over too great a land mass to start using this new information.

• tddavis

@Tijoda Also take a look at where I switch the mask feathering from Both to INSIDE & OUTSIDE the mask. Inside causes the feathering it to move inward to the center and Outside lets the feather extend beyond the mask line. They may be of some use to you.