Duff

Comments

• NullUnit
    NullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out

That is awesome! 

• Har
    Har Website User Posts: 401 Enthusiast
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,728 Ambassador

Love it! Isn't that Jed Clampette's favorite band?

• duffman
    duffman Website User Posts: 235 Enthusiast

Thanks guys....

I had tried to do this a couple of times over the past year or so with HF2U and its version of Mocha.  Never could get it done. Black & white film, both the camera and object to be tracked are moving, long clip. This time HF3 locked onto the headlights.  2-1 frame manual edits thats it.

The only thing I couldn't get done, and maybe someone can verify this:   I 3d extruded the text, man did it look way cool, as soon as I did the text layer  would not follow/lock to my  track point.

Twas fun!!

Duff

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,978 Ambassador

Are you moving the text layer, or the "Extrude From" point? You should have the Extrude Point locking to the track with a 2D text layer. 

• duffman
    duffman Website User Posts: 235 Enthusiast

Duh....I hadn't thought of that. Yeah it was the text layer.... Will give Extrude Piont a try.

Thanks!

Duff

• Robin
    Robin Website User Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast

Another thing to keep in mind, attaching a property that's meant to take a 3D layer (as I think I recall the extrude from property is? Don't have access to HitFilm right now) to a 2D tracking point might result in some parallax and/or perspective issues if the subject you are tracking moves towards/away from the camera. You should probably be fine for most of that shot, but it might require a little manual work to get the perspective right.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,978 Ambassador

Yeah, but you can attach the Extrude From point to a 3D layer, and it should update correctly. Just like with Atomic Particles.

• PaulHesh
    PaulHesh Website User Posts: 121 Just Starting Out

Nice, where'd you get the old footage, I could use that. lol

• Robin

@Triem23 Of course, that will work. I just brought that up as I understood in this case duffman was using a 2D tracking point, so I thought it was worth mentioning :)

• Triem23

But a 2D track also does scale. I think that will pull the text size. 

• Robin
    edited December 2014

@Triem23 Yes, but if it scales too much it will still give you perspective issues, as the text actually stays in the same 3D position and just gets bigger, as opposed to getting closer to the camera and staying the same size. It's not noticable for small movements or with long focal lentghs, but at some point the perspective will start to look wrong.

As I said, just a minor concern to keep in mind :D