Girl Fight: mini - Shoulder Angels or "We now have a new green screen!"

fredclips
fredclips Website User Posts: 228

Hello all,
This is a quick video set in the Girl Fight world. (That's what I'm calling it)

We recently purchased a 3m high x 6m long green screen with lights and this is our first test project.

I am happy with how it came out. However, there were a couple of green screen problems I should be able to improve on next time. For example: Better choice of shirt colour, no 'frizzy' hair styles and keep the lights further away from people with really light skin!

All feedback welcome.

BTW: Yes, I do know the talking is not as clear as I've done lately. I couldn't find the Zoom H1 on the day and had to use the camera microphone.  :(

Green Screen 1       Green Screen 2

Girl Fight: mini - Shoulder Angels

http://youtu.be/dTMTMopKDc0

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,998 Ambassador
    edited December 2014

I probably shouldn't have laughed as hard as I did when the gun came out, but I don't think I have seen that gag before... And then that look od total shock... 

• fredclips

The look of total shock was great!

I've modified the video a tiny bit, new version below. Everything the same except for a new scene during the very end credits. It was a scene we REALLY should have put in at the start. Didn't notice it missing until we watched it again today.

http://youtu.be/45ZdeOQkABs

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,729 Ambassador
    edited December 2014

LOL- Yup, that look of shock was priceless. Like the sound effect of the exploding angel too. Real splatty sounding.....is splatty a word?

Did you use spill removal? That should clear up the green around the hair.

More Girl Fight!!!!!

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,247 Staff

Nice!  One thing I would recommend is getting more distance betweemn the girls and the greenscreen.  I generally recommend 6 feet as a minimum distance, but really the more the better.  The farther apart the subject and the greenscreen are, the less green spill you will get on the edges of your subject, making a clean key much easier. And yes, as StormyKnight mentions, the Spill Suppression and Spill Replacement tools in the Chroma Keyer can help to eliminate that geren spill that is present in some of these shots.

• fredclips

@AxelWilkinson - Most of the keys did look good I thought. The head and shoulders close up was the one that gave me the most trouble. I think distance was my biggest problem, it caused  the hair wisps to just didn't clean up.

I did try the spill removal tool, But couldn't get it to 'fix' the hair. It also changed the yellow shirt to an orange colour as well on the higher settings. I think the yellow shirt had a bit of green in it. Of course I could have gone all out and masked the shirt so the spill removal didn't touch it... but I decided to stop there.

Honestly, I think this was a good lesson on the importance of getting good video to start with and not having to work as hard in post to fix it!

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,247 Staff

Yeah, as far as which bits of the video were removed, the keys looked pretty good.  Some of them did have a fair bit of green fringing around the edges, which is what I meant to address. Getting rid of that green, and replacing it with more accurate color (which is what spill suppression lets you do), will improve the realism of your results.

But yes, fixing as many issues as possible before filming will always help bring the best results.