Terminator Genisys

MichaelJames
MichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
edited December 2014 in Practical Filmmaking

First off... good thing i asked about making that image of a world being connected/attacked with missles, because guess whats in this Terminator Trailer?

Second... it looks decent, but I wish Orange/Teal wasn't everywhere... Copy Terminator 2.  It was beautiful and it was mostly Black... blacks or a blues

Comments

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

I had a far better reaction to this than I expected. Still pretty suspicious, but the main plot hook is actually quite intriguing.

• NullUnit
    NullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2014

It could really be said that this isn't a reboot at all. And this is why I'm not a huge fan of time travel stories, or at least not a fan of time travel as its depicted in the Terminator universe.   Nothing has consequences. If things go bad, just travel back in time and fix it and if that doesn't work then time travel again. Round and round and round. We'll never see this story resolved. 

• MichaelJames

@nullunit... it is a reboot but I am not a fan of time travel the way they've changed it since T3.  They can't change the rules.  Everything is altered now and completely fubar'ed.  Why wouldn't Skynet send a bunch of terminators back to the colonial days or the industrial revolution days.  They can kill all human's and then build the technology so that they could eventually build themselves, and one of the terminators can just upload a new skynet.

• NullUnit
    NullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2014

Exactly. Its what the Borg did in First Contact. They picked a time in human history where humanity was particularly weak and invaded there.  Skynet is not very creative. 

• WhiteCranePhoto
    WhiteCranePhoto Website User Posts: 928 Enthusiast

Actually, the real flaw is that they're ignoring the paradox. They can't actually change or stop Judgement Day, because it has already happened in Sarah's timline... since Kyle Reese came back and fathered John Conner. The problem? If Skynet kills Sarah before she gives birth to John Conner, then Skynet no longer has a reason to send a terminator back and therefore doesn't kill her before she gives birth to John Conner.

Similarly, they can't stop Judgemement Day... because as soon as the terminator and Kyle went back, they closed the causal loop.

The Time Machine actually got it right. Guy Pearce's character (I think it was him) made a time machine and went back to save his wife, only to see her die another way. Why?  Because without her death, he wouldn't have created a time machine to save her, so her death is the reason that he built a time machine. If she survives, he won't go back to save her, so she'll die. Paradox.

• Har
    Har Website User Posts: 401 Enthusiast

+1 on The Time Machine. I'm a hardcore fan of the old original 1960 movie (one of my very favorites), so I was pretty dubious about the 2002 remake with Guy Pearce...but was very pleasantly surprised by how much I liked itand how they worked that paradox into the story too. (I also thought it was rather cool that it was directed by Simon Wells, who's H. G. Wells' great grandson).

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

Alternatively, you're talking about multiple universes, in which case the time travel is continually spawning new subjective universes, which are only experienced by those who have just time travelled (and everybody else who then gets duplicated into that splinter universe).

Of course, if you go with that theory of time travel, it makes sending somebody back in time to fix things utterly pointless, because any changes they make won't affect YOUR reality in YOUR present.

T1 got away with it because it kept things simple. T2 just about got away with it, because by the end of the film it never actually confirmed whether they'd changed the timeline or not.

Every subsequent Terminator movie/series has just muddied the waters.

• WhiteCranePhoto
    WhiteCranePhoto Website User Posts: 928 Enthusiast

True... even in the multiple timeline explanation, there's still a causal paradox if you try to change something that's in your own history. That's what ruined the Sarah Conner series for me, too. It could have been good, but instead of being a woman training her son to be the leader that he would need to be, she continued to try to prevent Judgement Day, which in her own history was history, because her son wouldn't exist without it.

I liked the first to Terminator films. None of the rest have lived up to the first two, and apparently now Hollywood wants to make the first one again. :)

• MichaelJames

I hate multi unverse stories as a late:(

• DreamArchitect
    DreamArchitect Website User Posts: 595 Enthusiast

I have to say it looks pretty poor to me. Basically a limp remake of 1 and 2 together. It could be great of course but the trailer didn't impress me at all. Of course that's just my thoughts and opinion. Other opinions are available :D

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,364 Ambassador

I didn't know George Lucas had made a Terminator 2: Special Edition!