HitFilm Pro Crashing on Pause- blacked out viewer

VonDrevon
VonDrevon Posts: 9 Just Starting Out*

Hi,

Yesterday HitFilm had continuous crashes as I worked on editing a video. At first the viewer was working, but when I paused it would crash. After a few crashes like that, the viewer just went black but the audio worked and it would crash on pause. I have a Radeon RX 580 which had an update on 12/8/2022 so I figured it must have something to do with that. I tried rolling back the drivers to the last five options but the problem persists. I then downloaded the "PRO" drivers for content creators and HitFilm started to allow the viewer to work so I could edit. However, when I tried to render the video it took twice as long as normal and the video ended up having severe visual glitches. I rolled the driver back to a non-pro version - the viewer issue continued - but HitFilm rendered the video in the normal amount of time and without any glitches. It was a frustrating day. Are there any known issues with the new Radeon drivers? Why would the PRO driver not play well with HitFilm rendering? TIA.

SPECS:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19044) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: System manufacturer

System Model: System Product Name

BIOS: 2605 (type: UEFI)

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor      (12 CPUs), ~3.6GHz

Memory: 32768MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 32694MB RAM

Card name: Radeon RX 580 Series

Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x67DF)

DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Device Type: Full Device (POST)

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_67DF&SUBSYS_C5801682&REV_E7

Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER] 

Device Problem Code: No Problem

Driver Problem Code: Unknown

Display Memory: 24518 MB

Dedicated Memory: 8170 MB

Shared Memory: 16347 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (59Hz)

Comments

• VonDrevon
    VonDrevon Posts: 9 Just Starting Out*
    I fixed it... I did the Windows Optional 22H2 update (through the Windows Update system) and used the most recent Radeon drivers. I guess there was a conflict there. Hopefully, if anyone else has this problem this will help.
  • triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,647 Moderator

Thanks for sharing your fix!

If I had to guess, the devs primarily develop HitFilm with the standard drivers in mind, because they know that’s what most people will have on their systems by default. HitFilm’s backend is also more similar to a video game than some other editors or “pro” workloads, so the standard/gaming drivers are perfectly fine.